What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's just not what I was asking for. Granted, I'm probably not at the top of the "mega fan" list. I haven't watched or played any of the spinoff stuff. But the original FFVII is my favorite game I've ever played. I just wanted a recreation with current day technology.

Oh well.

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Oh I did too. But I’m not disappointed with where they have taken it so far. We’ll see how I feel in a couple weeks when I have finished Rebirth though

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I started playing through 6 a few weeks ago, but we had our national meeting last week, and I've applied for a new role, which is taking up a ton of time. Don't think I'll have time to finish it before Rebirth drops, which is really disappointing.

Adulting sucks.

emainvol likes this.
  4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’m finally getting more time to play right as everything starts coming out, but yeah still won’t have time to finish Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth before Rebirth, and Persona 3 Reloaded is in the backlog too now

FF6 pretty fantastic though

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

FF7 Rebirth has a 93 on Metacritic with 114 reviews in so far

That certainly doesn’t suck

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Booted up FFX late last week and have been playing through it over the past 5-6 days. Wife has even paid attention to the story, to some degree, which has surprised me.

Been listening to the FFXVI soundtrack all week while working.

I'm ready for Rebirth.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

FFX is [breasts].

I cleared off a three day weekend for rebirth

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It really is. Might be my favorite FF story. I rode into Bevelle last night, and the wife was like "Wait, I thought you killed that big dude with the blue hair?" I was like "Yeah, weird how a dead guy is just up and walking around like that."

I'm jealous. Is it still receiving the critical acclaim you mentioned early on? I haven't kept up with it?

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Only complaint with X was I couldn't game over if I tried. But maybe that's generally where things have gone now. But good story, visually still holds up well, and I liked the sphere grid.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sphere grid is a very solid leveling system. Easy to understand and feels like you have at least a little control over it (even if you don't actually have very much).

I honestly don't mind how easy it is, especially for this quick playthrough. I'm here for the narrative. The end game, post story stuff is where the challenge typically lies, anyway.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

92 average score with 128 reviews in, so yeah

Most of the knocks seem to be around pacing, which isn’t surprising considering the scope.

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Hurry the [uck fay] up Amazon

Should have preordered from Best Buy with pickup

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I didn't pre-order. Just gonna buy it at some point on the PS5. Probably tomorrow, unfortunately, as I'm basically gonna be working up until flag football playoffs start.

Kind of want to finish X before starting the new one, but the excitement for Rebirth may be too strong.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bought it yesterday. Will start it today, most likely.

The tagline of “the unknown journey continues” really gets to the core of my issue. Lol… it’s not an unknown journey! It’s a remake! I wanted a more technologically advanced version of a known journey!

I’m a broken record at this point.

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

But I mean, you bought it

Honestly the more I play and see everything fleshed out, the more I think a shot for shot remake would have been significantly less interesting than I always thought it would be. You’d have nothing to do about 80% of the time

I honestly have had less chance to play than I had hoped so far this weekend, but now I have 3 days off so I should at least get a good 10-15 hours in

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But with a shot for shot remake, they also (hopefully) wouldn’t have stretched one game into 3 separate games. Keep the main thing the main thing.

My play through of FFX (the digital remastered version) is a good example, imo. It’s been great. Perfect amount of nostalgia. Fun game. Remembered a lot of details of the story that I had forgotten and caught some new stuff I previously missed. I’ve loved it.

And with 7, it would be better. You’re enhancing it. Voice acting. The latest graphics and technology. At the end of the day, to me, it’s more about what was advertised vs what was delivered. But again, it’s fine. I’m giving it a chance to be good. Approaching it with an open mind and looking forward to it.

Not a good start though, lol. Booted it up last night and tried to load my save data for the extra content. My save file from Remake doesn’t load. Spent the next hour or so trying to figure out how to make that work. Honestly can’t believe it was that difficult. Had to dig up the old PS4 and pull the save data off of it with a USB drive, of all things. Pretty absurd.

And even then, super unclear where to get that content. Super unclear why I was having to play through the Nibelheim part again despite doing it in the demo. Oh, and the game opened with… Zack… of all people. I turned it off and went to bed lol

We go again today.

17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You’ll be prompted to skip the Nibelheim part before the Reactor investigation, or you should be. They changed enough of the parts before and after it that I was fine with it, also the reactor investigation is quite long

Not sure on the other stuff, I got all of it but I saw people talking about having some issues.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also, when you are done with this, play 12 if you haven’t.

Great game

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I googled it and was able to figure it all out. Just felt absurd that I had to do that for something that should be so simple and straightforward.

Game has been fun so far. Spent a few hours just exploring around. Hoping to get a few more hours in later tonight.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I played 12 when I was younger. Didn’t love the story, but some of it might have gone over my head due to age. I think I disliked the lack of a true “main” protagonist. But I recognized the strides it made from a gameplay perspective.

I think after I wrap up Rebirth and X, I’ll probably go back to VI. After that, I think I wanna try 8 and 9. That’ll pretty much round out my experience for anything 6 and later (minus the online ones).