What are you playing during Coronapocalypse?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Indy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

My biggest problem with 12 is the lack of agency for the “main” character Vaan. So yeah I hear you

The story is good and the depth of gameplay is amazing. Particularly with the new Zodiac versions

2. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Indy when you are done with your FF run, get started on the Xenoblade games on Switch and thank me later

Also maybe Star Ocean Second Story R if you want a more old school experience

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also Persona 5 Royal but your mileage may vary on that one. Utterly brilliant game but it’s weird. Definitely in my top 5 of all time though

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

One at a time. Won’t get to any of them if I don’t stop playing blitzball and this stupid Queen’s Blood shit. I’m a sucker for a good RPG mini game. Used to play Gwent all the time in the Witcher 3. This Queen’s Blood game feels like the poor man’s version.

emainvol likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I keep Witcher 3 downloaded just so I can hop on there and play gwent now and then

emainvol likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Pretty sure there’s an entirely separate gwent game, if I remember correctly. Like a standalone. I think I downloaded it but never played it.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Ha yeah, it’s pretty similar to the card games in 8 and 9 too, but a bit deeper. I’ve enjoyed it quite a bit so far

Game apparently has a metric shit ton of mini games though

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve heard it’s not the same

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Too many [uck fay]ing side quests. Too many characters I just can’t be bothered to care about.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I was hoping to be more at like 10-15 hours right now but I’m only at about 7

That said, I’m still in the Grasslands and I’m having a blast

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I think I'm at 9 hours. I'm still in the grasslands, and I'm a little tired of it. The "Beck's Badasses" and Kyrie stuff have just felt so unnecessary and uninteresting to me.

I may just have to stop posting about it because I feel like such a debbie downer. The main thing I loved about the original game was the story, and it just feels like they're diluting the shit out of it. Some of the side stuff is good. I like the little lifestream areas, and I get some of the general RPG/exploration elements like the towers in all the different areas. But I'm 9 hours into the game and haven't done anything related to the main story since leaving Kalm. Just feels like to much nontent sidequests to me.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah, I'll never play it. From the beginning they marketed the whole thing as a remake, not a story in the FF7 universe. Classic bait and switch. All I wanted was a graphics mod and was fine paying for the cash grab. Instead, I got some [uck fay]ed up story nobody asked for. I still want a Tactics update, but if they want to do something stupid like they did with 7, maybe its for the best it's never happened.

Indy likes this.
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is the boat I'm in, except I'm playing it and giving it a chance. I'm open to the idea that the story can still be awesome, even if it's not what I was asking for or what they advertised.

But at this point, I'm just hoping they don't bury 6 hours of main story into 54 hours of sidequests and mostly unrelated content.

14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I need to check back at the 7th Heaven mod community to see what changes have been made in the last 5 years.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Finally got 100% on the grasslands and moved forward. Got some cool cut scenes that were exactly the sort of shit I was hoping to get out of this game, even though I thought the one in the swamp could have been done better.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I did the same last night. That was such a big “oh shit” moment in the original that I was starting to worry they weren’t going to do it at all.

But they did, and it was pretty badass. That said how they got there was a little weird. I didn’t hate it was just strange.

I thought that boss fight was pretty awesome though.

I’m not normally a “100% everything” kind of guy in single player, story drive games. I’ll do what seems interesting and then go back later. But I’m having a lot of fun with discovering more lore and learning how to make better use of abilities (particularly synergy skills) that I just went with it. We’ll see how long that holds before I go back to how I used to do it.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Oh, I'm a 100% guy all the way, especially on games I'm really excited for.

I'm assuming no one else is reading this, so I'm not gonna do spoiler cover.

I was disappointed that the Midgardsormr didn't chase me around the swamp. That was such an effective piece of the original game, and while stepping on him accidentally was fine, I preferred the original.

I also didn't hate the way they looped in Sephiroth, but having it all happen IN the water was kind of dumb to me. It just looked weird watching the snake pop up out of the water and onto the pike. They could have very easily had the same stuff happen on the shore at the end of the swamp.

Like you said - I didn't hate it... just strange.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Alright I didn’t really play it in Intermission, but the Fort Condor Minigame is fun

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

18.5 hours in. Just finished the Junon region intel and made it to the under city.

Things I love:

• The graphics are great, world is beautiful, voice acting is solid.

Things I like:

• The mini games are a lot of fun
    • The *type* of open world exploration is solid
    • The combat is better than I expected
    • The additions to the lore. Learning a bit more about the places, the summons, and the livestream has been a nice addition.

Things I don’t like:

• The *amount* of open world exploration. Could have cut exploration/sidequest content in half.

• Too much menu stuff and lack of depth to it. Materia, item transmuter, weapon leveling, character leveling, skill selection. There are too many damn menu tasks, and none of them has an ounce of depth.

Things I hate:

• Where the [uck fay] is the story? I’m here for the story. The story just isn’t here… at all. I’m nearly 20 hours into the game, and nothing has [uck fay]ing happened. They’ve taken the best part of the original game and made it about 2% of this game.

• The lack of character development and interaction for the main crew is astonishing, especially after how well they did with FFXVI. It honestly feels like [uck fay]ing Chadley and Mai (2 characters not even in the original game) have had more lines than the entire crew combined. The only way any of them interact with each other is by doing moves together in battle and completing quests for other people… together? Going from FFX to this game probably highlights how bad it is. Feels like a huge missed opportunity.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I just don’t understand why there’s so much worthless filler. 8 hours running around exploring the grasslands for reasons that are still unclear to me. Okay, cool, what’s next? Oh… 8 more hours of running around exploring Junon…

Honestly can’t believe it’s so highly rated.