what if republicans ruled Washington?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jul 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would like to hear what you think the US would look like if HW Bush won reelection, and the GOP held the white house and Congress from then on. Be as detailed as you want. The Detroit thread sparked my curiosity.

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Imo, nothing drastically different.

Obamacare would be replaced with some pos gop legislation.

Hat is spot on, at some point people need to mind their own business.

I will add to that, keeping the majority of your pay.

Govt has more than enough money to be effective.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Marginally better at best,but trending worse and worse the longer Congressional majorities held out.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Roe v Wade would have been off the books by now because the Supreme Court would look radically different. Military budget would be larger, unfortunately. Europe would hate us more. It is possible that the boom of the late 90's would have been associated with balanced budgets because Republicans are more disposed to make that association than democrats. If that happened and a balanced budget became a center plank in the Republican platform, we definitely would have benefited. (I am fully aware of Republican Presidents' terrible track record on balancing the budget. I am merely arguing that history effect on ideology is moderated by who is in power when things happen.)

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

With Bush and the GOP in control of 2006? Not jack crap.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't think we spend a trillion to "save jobs" and pay back our union buddies at least. just that has to be an improvement.

7. OrangeEmpire

Roe v Wade, really?

8. OrangeEmpire

I would like to know if a different timeline or outcome would have occured with ubl?

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

good grief. (1) No Repub dominated DC is overturning Roe v Wade. (2) Military budget would unlikely be larger as it expanded substantially under Bush (but would liberal douchebags like Krugman love it if we pumped it up? How about the moron lamenting made up austerity killing Detroit?). (3) The Europe silliness isn't worth a discussion and isn't really worth a concern. The feigned Obama like has done exactly what? Europe tolerates us upstarts because their economies don't exist without ours. (4) All republicans gave us much of the disaster of the Bush era, so the budget would still be spiraling out of control with vote buying and power consolidation. Either party without a check is all negative. Balanced budget is going to be a plank in any platform bent on buying votes and, if it does, it's a blatant lie.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They had the Oval Office, Congress, and The Supreme Court in the 2000s. We didn't hear a peep about Roe v. Wade. It's too big of a campaign issue for them.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's hard to say which way the Supreme Court would have gone for absolute certain, but I agree overall. It's doubtful they'd kill that goose.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Lee Atwater was known for making fun of the anti-abortion folks in his camp. No way the Republcians throw away that vote getter.

13. OrangeEmpire

It is silly how the gop approaches, instead of specific particulars it is all or nothing.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

romney is the only republican candidate that has spoken openly about it and he basically just said he didn't believe in abortion. you'd be nuts to go strong after it.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think Roe would fall and fall quickly if there were 5 reliable pro-life votes on the Court. Right now there are 4. District Courts follow stare decisis which is why they haven't made an attempt on Roe. Supremes are much less bound by past precedent. I could see Republicans investing more in Star Wars type programs throughout the '90's if they had had their way. That is pre-anti-terrorism infusions. I also don't give a flip about the free-riding Europeans. As far as a balanced budget, you're likely right but a man can dream. Perhaps I'm gullible, but I think Christie will give it a try.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Roe could only fall by a Constitutional amendment or a majority SC decision. Controlling the Presidency and Congress by slim majorities matters little.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Since both parties love to buy votes and spend money and control others lives, not much would be different.

18. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They pass a law, President signs it, Supreme Court upholds the law when challenged. Voila. No more abortion. They didn't even try. The GOP is all about lip service with Roe v. Wade. It's an election rallying point. Conspicuously, after said elections: *crickets*

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

the GOP generally runs on a platform to select and confirm strict constructionist judges (who are pro-life among other things.) I am no Republican apologist, but I never remember them promising to pass anti-abortion legislation. And I understand why they don't want to expend political capital to do so when the Court would simply overturn it --which they would. I am depressed with the greed and cowardice of the Republicans on a daily basis, but not necessarily on this issue.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i agree completely.