What's The Highest Rated Player Ever Being a Bust ?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Jan 7, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He did. He said four while doing color for the game, and then he scaled it back to "at least two" when doing the wrap up thing with Chris Fowler.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Pat Martin was a 3*, unless you're thinking about a different Pat Martin than I am. Maybe Ben Martin?

3. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Hate to call Ben Martin a bust. He was highly rated and didn't do anything but he had a horrible string of bad luck with health. I think it was his knee or ankle. He was high-effort and he didn't do well for a lack of trying.

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

ESPN 4*, Rivals had him a 4* (but at one point had a high 4 just shy of 5*) and Scout had him 4* dropped him to 3*.

I was thrilled when signed Ben given his (HS) accomplishments but injuries kept him from reaching or exceeding expectations

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Multitude of injuries worst of which were the pair of torn Achilles

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Found this little gem from #ddtpos ...

Tennessee Freshman Safety Pat Martin Leaves Team

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Agree on Ben. I don't remember Pat being near 5*, but he was a 3* on 247 and a composite 3* at signing, so if he was rated that highly, he sure cratered quickly.

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yeah, his ratings were up-and-down pretty inconsistent. I remember he had a rep coming out of HS as a hard hitting safety, really lay wood. Once on the hill there was an injury and iirc some family issues. And he didn't gel with the staff. Anyway, I didn't go back and look at the various recruiting sites got lazy and pulled his bio but the site (sans 247) ratings are there Pat Martin Bio

I think he signed w/ MTSU.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Sounds like a weeknight for Travis Henry.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Dammit, I didn't see that someone already brought him up

Those jokes were awesome

12. What about the LB that came in Eric Berry's class, I think his last name was Donald?

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Already been discussed in this thread. Nice try though.

14. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Its still a travesty that the NFL would not allow him in the league because he was to damn good.

15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Beano also picked Tennessee to win the national championship in 1983 on national TV.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

More in the unrealized potential due to being an immature dumbass category, but Dustin Moore.

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Ron Powlus was the most highy touted prospect I remember. He was very average. Guess he wouldn't be in the biggest bust ever categoory though.

18. vol445

vol445 Member

Lies I tell you. Lies.

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

He could have been as good as Jason Witten.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

On a positive note, last I heard he had his life straightened out fairly well.