When Did You Officially Blow a Gasket Tonight?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Oct 29, 2011.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Tennessee should have won the game. They made several mistakes that have nothing to do with youth, and everything to do with execution and scheme. But alas those of us that expressed emotion aren't smart.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I had forgotten about that onside kick. If they were gonna do it seems like they would've repeated the successful one that they kicked down the middle. At least then it doesn't go out of bounds.

As to the punt returns, I wasn't watching the set up specifically, but it seemed to me pretty much all the punts were high and short, not really made for returning. I dunno. Thankfully I didn't set the DVR, not that I'd be tempted to go back and watch it.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

My concern on punt returns is that on several of them, 9 guys just stood at the line of scrimmage. They neither attempted to rush the punter or block the guy in front of them. One guy went after the punter, Devrin stood back there to field the punt, and the rest did nothing.

If you go to ESPN3 around the 1:28:52 mark, you'll see one example.

When Ace Saunders muffed his punt, there were two other Gamecocks in the area, with a chance to save it. There were never at any point any Vols around to set up blocks for Devrin or to help him out if he were to muff it. You were right that the punt was high and short, but I don't think the guys on the line could really discern that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Carolina outgained UT by 130 yards. They outrushed us by 200. They held the ball for almost a full quarter longed than we did.

Are you sure we should have won?

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Yes.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Cocks also gave Tennessee the ball 2 yards from a TD and what, another 30 yards from the endzone. Yes, execute on two drives and Tennessee wins regardless of time of possession or rushing yards.

Also, add the semi blocked FG from Palardy, Tennessee wins by six.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

South Carolina sure made enough mistakes to where you'd expect a home victory.

8. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Dont forget the other fumble that south click had on their 30 in which we turn right around and throw a pick. So we had the football three times in the redzone or just right outside of it and we manage a big 3 points........

9. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

I too agree that Tennesse should not have won the game. Yes, SCAR made 2 turnovers, but it was apparent they were the better team. Spurrier succeeded by running 4 plays, no tricks, nothing. He knew his defense would play well and ran a basic QB draw, delay hand-off, read-option, and play action to Alshon. UT had their chances because of SCAR mistakes, but statiscally SCAR dominated. Looking at the above stats, I think UT was forunate the game was an 11 pt game. SCAR's play calling was low risk and vanilla because UT could do next to nothing on offense. Not that SCAR is a good offense, but the 5th string RB ran for 140 against UT. When that happens, I think SCAR deserves to win. Not a knock on UT, just the UT offense is anemic, both passing and RUSHING. UT's D played very well and gave the team a chance to win.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

UT's D played very well, but as you said it was against the 5th string QB and Spurrier literally only used about 4 plays in the second half.

11. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The onside kick did not bother me.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Wasn't wild about the call considering the way the game was flowing and that it was a huge risk/reward play depending mostly on Palardy's leg, but it didn't really bug me that much. The execution is what really pissed me off.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Surrendering field position in a defensive, less-than-one-score battle doesn't bother you? Okay.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's pretty much the way I saw it.