When monkeys are paid unequally

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Apr 29, 2016.

1. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I agree it demonstrates how unfairness affects, but when you say income inequality are you speaking of different incomes for the same position or different levels of income for all the various positions?

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'd be interested to see what they would do if they were both getting grapes, but one was receiving two or three grapes while the other only received one grape. Would the one grape monkey still realize that it was uneven or would he be happy with the grape that he received and not be concerned with what the other monkey received?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This experiment tasked monkeys with the exact same work, right in front of one another. They were given different levels of awards. So this really doesn't get into income disparity in terms of CEO's vs workers, but rather workers vs workers, apples to apples.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That would be interesting, and would go towards testing what BPV said concerning "comparing plenty to plenty"

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I know that. Your comment led me to believe you were speculating what the results in real life would be.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haha, I think we know what the results in real life would be. If you and I each paid five bucks for a beer and your's was only half full, you'd call shenanigans.

7. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'd fill a grievance if the monkey next to me got a grape and I was getting a shitty cucumber. Then I'd shove that rock up that scientist's ass.

8. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

I'm not on mobile but don't see it.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Around here, five bucks for a beer would get a reaction from me. My pub is $2-3 for just about any brew in the house. $1 drafts on Wed.
    d

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'd call shenanigans regardless of your beer.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I've been living in strange places where beer is no cheaper than $4.50 and folks panhandling by the gas station make more than the ones working in it.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Well in all honesty, we are in a place that is about ten-twenty years behind the real world.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's the new America. Where those who do more work to get out of work get paid.

Keep voting Democrat.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, it's those Democrats for sure.

15. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Or the place where the chronically uninformed piss and moan about the government yet keep voting for the republican bastards who aren't any better than the democrats they piss and moan about....

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Accurate

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I hate both. Was just throwing a jab.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

You and me both... The older I get the more I despise politics and politicians altogether....