Where is Silas Redd?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He wasn't at the Penn State players meeting / public re-commitment yesterday morning.

His absence was first alleged to result from his travelling to Chicago as one of the three players selected to represent Penn State at Big10 media days (which begin today) - but later, PSU announced that neither Redd nor any other player would be attending, but only Coach O'Neil, instead. In addition to the circus-like atmosphere that would have played out in front of the cameras, I guess someone in State College finally figured out that placing what is, ostensibly, three of their best / most coveted players in an out-of-town locale with opposing coaches for three days, and without any of the protections of the "no-contact" rules normally in place, may not be the most ideal means of furthering their efforts toward convincing them to stay. In fact, I would liken it to double-dog daring them to transfer, or at least forcing them to withstand what would be immense pressure to at least consider it.

And later yesterday, we have several instances of current PSU players tweeting that coaches were (literally) standing right outside of their apartments and team facilities, waiting and wanting to speak with them. Coach O'Brian even remarked that he passed a contingency of six (6!) guys wearing Illinois shirts when he was flying out of the State College airport, on his way to Big 10 Media Days. So, it's safe to say that the place is likely crawling with recruiters right now.

And thus far, the only peep that we have heard from Redd's camp is from his father who said, "we're wading through everything right now" (IIRC). Redd himself has only changed his Twitter background to that of a picture of Kobe Bryant, and immediately before taking the entire feed private.

So, my simple question to all is this: Has anyone heard / read a report of Redd's whereabouts, of late.....or even today? It seems unlikely that he is in State College, or someone would have had a mic in his face long before now.

Surely, someone knows where the kid is, right? Just asking.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hopefully not in the shower.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I imagine USC's campus

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There is talk of him being in Knoxville next week, but it's all rumors right now

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Wherever Jimmy Hoffa, Waldo and Carmen San Diego hang out, probably.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it should be interesting to see how many of these guys who now say they are all penn state end up transfering after this season.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

How long is the window for open transferring? With USC, they were allowed to transfer freely until the first season of probation started, then had to follow transfer rules. Let's say a PSU Sophomore sticks it out this year, but decides he wants to play somewhere else his JR and SR years, would he still be able to openly transfer or would he have to sit out a year?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i believe they have 3 years to transfer without penalty. let's not forget the season isn't only a couple of weeks away and you'd have to learn a new playbook among many other difficulties. if you want to play this season just from a practical point of view you either transfer right now or wait till the end of the season.

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He'd meeting with kiffin st usc right now...

Per twitter.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Cowherd almost seemed to suggest that Redd was at USC for the next two days. May have just meant they were going after him hard...but he mentioned next two days...

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

cowherd doesn't know anything. i have better contacts at usc. he's full of it. i honestly think he gets all his pac-12 info from chip kelly.

12. TennTradition

It has always seemed like he had an in with Kiffin to me.

13. Tenacious D

Who's twitter?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

isn't he the one who said the SC sanctions were going to be minor?

15. TennTradition

Could have been.

But, wasn't Kiffin saying they were going to be minor to recruits?

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm sure, but what else is he going to say?

17. TennTradition

Nothing. My point is I've always looked at Cowherd as a bit of a mouthpiece for Kiffin when Koffin wants it. If Cowherd was saying it, I could believe Kiffin suggested it.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is true. He gets used like a cheap hooker by Kiffin.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i could see it. espn has a pretty big presence out here now.

20. Tenacious D

Of course, none of these will ultimately prove prohibitive to Kiffin, but there are a couple of things to consider about Redd transferring to USC:

1. While SC can go after PSU players like anyone else, the 'AA has also said that unlike other schools, they will not be allowed to go over their 75-man roster, as it has already been reduced as a result of sanctions.

2. For a Penn State player to transfer, their signing must count toward the 2012 class (and not allowed to defer until 2013, as I once believed), which USC filled long-ago. The one exception to this is a certain WR from USC's '12 class who is on campus, but has yet to receive final confirmation of eligibility from the 'AA Clearinghouse. While this could be received or denied at any moment, should he fail to qualify, Kiffin would have the necessary 2012 scholly available.

3. If the WR does get cleared, the only way that Kiffin could then free up a scholarship to sign Redd would be to cut or demote a player from the '12 class or to demote them from scholarship to walk-on status, or possibly, to convince one to gray shirt (although I doubt this option remains, as they are all likely already on campus and enrolled).

If anything, you can trust that Kiffin will do whatever places him on the most direct route back to an NFL sideline, and as of right now, winning a NC at SC does that as well as anything. As landing Redd will greatly increase his chances of that interim goal, nothing he might do should surprise you.

P.S. - I've compiled all of this from multiple things I've read, and thus, I neither vouch for it nor can provide a link to it.