Who do You Want?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by GahLee, Sep 19, 2015.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Always a worry when you're hiring from a lower level. It's just rare that a school gets a really big name coach.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I understand, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Jon Gruden

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Man, that guy is a special kind of crooked.

But, truth be told, he was privately telling people all week that they were going to kick Bama's ass.

Does Ole Miss still have that much more talent over Tennessee, to where it was not surprising to see them throttle the Tide, but we've never once even given it any serious consideration that we'll have a chance to even be competitive, during our trip?

Point being, most Tennessee fans would think Jones better than Freeze, or at least his equal, and while there is no sizable talent gap between their teams, most Tennessee fans don't believe that we have a chance at Bama, even after watching what Ole Miss just did.

How do they not realize that the only difference between us and them - is coaching?

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Willful ignorance, Tenny. Plain and Simple. Because Jones is at TN, that instantly makes him better than anyone in many people's eyes. It is why Dooley was supported until the day he was fired.

Also, I think the most ignorant of fans is just that, ignorant. They watch the games on Saturday, and that is all they do. They don't listen to radio, they don't read message boards, they might listen to Vol Calls, but that is just State Radio distributing the Kool-Aid. I think most people simply don't care.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yesterday may have sold me on him. He can coach.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The most ignorant fans listen to Butch and Vol Calls religiously.

They quote Butch verbatim when giving excuses for a loss.

My 74 year old grandmother is a religious football watcher. She watches every Vol and Titans game, plus a handful of other games every weekend. She doesn't listen to sports talk or read articles or pay attention to recruiting. She let's what happens on the field tell her what she needs to know.

She told me [ddiapos] sucked since the day she saw him on the local news accepting the job.

She's said Butch wasn't very good since Vanderbilt 2013.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't know how he plays the off the field stuff, though

9. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Stop.

Please, just stop.

Nothing substantive will change unless and until the purge goes way above the Jones level.

Teasing and titillating with the names of coaches that would do better just makes it all hurt worse.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He's managed to keep Memphis above water. I dunno. Something about him screams winner.

What he did yesterday was impressive.

11. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Forget what the fans think. I want to know what the people who matter are thinking ? Why do they keep letting this happen? A lot of people here like to bash -and I do mean ****ing bash- the "non informed UT Fans", how about the people who do the hiring? When is it their turn to be held accountable? Lots of people in power at UT had to sign off on the Butch hire. Not just Dave Hart.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I knew an older lady that was the self-proclaimed "biggest UT fan ever". Had tons of UT gear, including an entire room dedicated to UT memorabilia. Well not too long ago I asked her what she thought the score would be for the season opener. We were playing Austin-Peay, I think. If not tthem, it was some awful cupcake that we absolutely throttled. Anyway, her prediction was that we would win 28-21. That's a big portion of the fanbase - not understanding that we could literally not practice for a year and still demolish AP while letting our QB just make plays up in the huddle.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We've cussed Cheek, DiPietro and the Haslams plenty too

14. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

His slogan at the beginning of last year, his 3rd year, was "Wait Til This Year." Then he won 10 games.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Sigh...

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I just keep thinking about the loaded Div II teams he fielded at UNA that always lost a big one and/or petered out in the playoffs. I worry about him in the big game mostly.

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Uh, Chip Kelly might need a job.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would be okay with that

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

for most people, they don't care about it to that extent...they wanna watch the games, and they want the Big Arnge to win, but they don't know or care what a 4-3 or a 3-4 or a cover 2 is, and they don't want to....at the end of the day, it's just another Dancing with the Stars, and they're ok with that

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

10-3 at Memphis is great, 3-0 so far this year. Great background, huge endorsement from Gary Patterson.