Wi-Fi Questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I could try that, though I guess there's no way to guarantee other Xbox's have better hardware. The support dude on the phone basically said he's pretty confident it's a hardware issue. No real reason to be getting <200 down right next to the router through wifi when you get 950+ hardwired.

I'm going to end up just running an ethernet line down to the living room to hardwire it. Because that's the most convenient approach. It makes me want to disown the Xbox though.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'll give it a look. If it's not something I can change, maybe they can change it for me.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's why I am saying don't replace the hardware before you have tested against another xbox. You'll know if you don't have the problem that it is your specific machine.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I get you. There's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm replacing the hardware in the Xbox. It's not worth the $300 + shipping. If anything, I'll run the ethernet wiring in the house, and that might happen regardless.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, not seeing an option to change to 802.11ac on here. Maybe I’ll call support.

Does IPv4 vs IPv6 make a difference?

I can change:

IP Settings
    DNS Settings (did this earlier)
    Alternate MAC Address (did this earlier)
    Alternate Port Selection
    QoS Tagging Settings

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have no doubt that your system is using IPv4. If your IP address looks like 172.20.0.20, that is IPv4.

I also don't think your DNS settings, MAC address or port selection do anything.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Support won’t be able to change anything. Didn’t really expect that option to be configurable for you. Looks like you’re just stuck where you are.

At the end of the day unless you just want the console to have full gig the wireless is currently fine. 180 vs 900Mbps won’t affect anything other than the time it takes to download the game. Playing the game will be the same either way.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So the issues with Apex in game are Apex server related, in your opinion? Not WiFi connection related?

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Most likely. In game you’re typically using single digit bandwidth. A 4K video stream takes 15-20 Mbps. In game you’re just pushing data all the assets are local. I’d be more interested in ping.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ping appears to be 19 on the phone and 42 on the Xbox, if I’m reading correctly.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That’s your Speedtest ping which is good. Anything sub 50 is excellent. For apex or whatever game you’re playing you’d want to know your ping to their servers.