Wi-Fi Questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I have a 25 Mbps connection, non-static IP. I can stream NHL.tv while remoting in to work, and/or while playing WoW.

You can decide what more you need, to do you.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You play WoW while watching hockey and working at the same time?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He's that good.

4. fl0at_

I can fish. The bobber makes a splashing sound.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have a 3 story, rectangular row home. Our router is in the living room, which is in the front of the house on the first floor. Our bedroom is on the 3rd floor at the back of the house.

As such, the wi-fi signal is pretty poor in the bedroom. I’ve been considering purchasing a wi-fi extender to boost the signal in the bedroom. Here are my questions:

1. Do these wi-fi extenders actually work, and if so, does anyone recommend any particular options?

2. Am I off base in thinking that I would need to put the extender somewhere in between where the router currently sits and the room in which I’m trying to boost the signal? In other words, somewhere around the middle of the home on the second floor?

TIA.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I re read my post, realized that I just asked about poor performance in the bedroom while using the word “extender,” and decided I’ll just take whatever shit y’all give me, as long as I also get a legitimate answer/solution or two. So have at it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The post surprised no one.

PilotFlyingJ, justingroves and Indy like this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This is what I have:

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_2nd_gen?hl=en-US

2500ish sq. ft. basement rancher with my modem/router downstairs in the utility room. I have three of these set up throughout my house and get full signal all over my house, all around my yard, and have even let my neighbor use my wifi when he's sitting on his deck next door. I also like that it's really easy to go into the app and prioritize devices when necessary.

It's been worth every penny.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Indy, skip the extender and drop the coin on a mesh system if you can. Eero systems with 2 beacons run about 250. It’s worth it if your ISP allows you to use your own router

NYY likes this.
  10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was able to use Eero with my ISP’s router but I had to put my old router behind it in bridge mode and then turn off the wifi on their router. Seems to work correctly.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I don’t have experience with the google system but it’s a little cheaper than the eero

I can say that over my gig connection I get full gig wired, 400-500 down/up off the main Eero router and 150-200+ down/up off the beacon. I haven’t really tweaked anything to see if it can go higher so it’s possible I could optimize and do better off the beacon but it’s honestly more than enough as is

12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Also an option. Does that affect your performance at all with the bridge?

13. fl0at_

I've got the Orbi with two additional satellites, for a total of three.

You could put one on each level, center of the house, and have more than enough coverage.

emainvol likes this.
  14. fl0at_

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think that’s hard to answer. I have no perceptible issues. But perhaps I’m limiting top-end speed (that I don’t need/use).

emainvol likes this.
  16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I always bridge behind the fiber router I have to use. It cost me a few Mbps but nothing noticeable in the grand scheme. If I didn't have a gig line I probably wouldn't see a speed difference. The biggest pain is having to remember to port forward on 2 routers.

emainvol likes this.
  17. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

@Indy , purely for curiosities sake what took you Baltimore?

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Work.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'll have to read up on this. We have google homes in like, every room of the house, so this would fit right in. I'm guessing I'd only need one to get the job done? I'll have to read into it further.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This post feels like a foreign language to me. Not trying to be a jerk - just don't understand what this stuff is.