Wi-Fi Questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

well it could be. Netflix buffers and scales better than Hulu. Run a test on a device on wifi in one of the trouble areas: https://www.fusionconnect.com/speed-test-plus/

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

That’s what I did in my first two posts in this thread from today. 100 down should be more than enough to get the job done, yes?

Either way, the mesh system doesn’t seem to help much. It’s possible I have them set up poorly, but the google home app says they both have a “great connection.”

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Depends on how many devices are trying to do things at once. I get 400-800 mbps and do not have problems.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We get 100 in the bedroom and, at most, would be on our phones (safari, maybe a game) while streaming.

Is 100 enough for all that? And why does this mesh system not give off a better signal?

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Do you have a main wireless router and then the mesh one on top of it? If so, you might be double NATing, which is why your speeds are slower.

You'd need to bridge the mesh to your main router, and have your main router be the only thing giving out IPs.

IP likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not 100% sure what you mean. I followed the directions google gave me. One of the 3 google WiFi things is plugged directly into my router (Ethernet cable) and sitting right next to it. Another is on the second floor, more central to the house. The third is pretty much right above that on the third floor.

I have my original network, and then the new network I created today when I set up the google WiFi’s. I just gave it the same name with a 2.0 at the end.

7. fl0at_

You need to either plug your main Google mesh router directly into your modem, or bridge your old router and your main Google mesh router. You cannot simply plug one router into another router. That will double NAT, and might cause you some packet loss and/or speed loss as the packets start bouncing around looking for their true source.

You have one IP. Your main IP issued by your ISP. And yet, while you are browsing, your sending all kinds of packets out from that IP, that then come back to that IP and have to have somewhere to go right? How do packets from your phone know to come back to your phone, and not your computer? It all went out your main IP. That's NATing. Double NATing is doing that twice, now your devices attached to Google mesh have one main IP, and that is talking to your router, and then your router through the modem, the outside world. So rather than hitting your router and then going straight to your device, the packets hit the router, get processed on that network, and then to the Google mesh, where they get processed again. If you have IPs the same, because one router issues one IP and the other router issues the same IP, the packets go to the wrong destination, and that device says... don't know what these are, and they get dropped, or bounced back, where they finally get to the right device.

Only one of your routers needs to be the primary, IP issuing router in your network, and everything else just needs to pass packets along to their destination. So you need to either plug directly into modem on the Google mesh, or bridge your old router and the mesh network. Most likely, you have a modem/router combo from your ISP, so you can't plug directly into modem, so you'll need to go into your Google mesh and set it up as AP mode, and not routing mode... or some such variant. You'll have to look up what exactly you need to do for the Google mesh stuff, but you do not want both your old router, and your new router to both be routing.

8. fl0at_

Also, make sure you are connecting to the 5G band on your mesh, and not the 2.4G band.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You trying to give him COVID?

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Everybody all worried about 5G and I don’t hear anyone talking about the real enemy… WiFi 6

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Modem? I have one box from my ISP, and that’s all I’ve used up until bringing these google things on board. That box gives me WiFi, and I have a direct Ethernet line from it to my Xbox One X. That’s it. Is that a router or a modem? And if it’s a router, and I’m not supposed to be plugging the google shit into it, why did the directions specifically tell me to plug the google shit into it, with no alternative method of setting it up?

Edit: I guess, based on your last paragraph, what I have is a combination and I need to look into this AP mode thing.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Was never given an option.

13. fl0at_

It's part of setup, inside the administration page, of the Google mesh device.

You navigate to its IP, enter in the admin user and pass, or whatever it needs, and then configure it for your specific needs.

You aren't going to get specific things with general configurations. You have to get specific to your needs, and then work to achieve that.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Something seems not right here:

[​IMG]

The living room one is the one plugged into the router.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure why the image goes away when I post. It’s there when I edit the post.

It’s labeling the 2nd and 3rd floor as google WiFi router and the first floor one as “living room WiFi.”

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The living room google (connected to the router) is in “NAT (standard) mode.” The 2nd and 3rd floor googles are in “Bridge mode”

I don’t see an AP mode or a way to change the modes. Still looking though.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also does AP stand for “access point?”

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Google support dude is saying to call my ISP and have them change my modem/router to bridge mode.

19. fl0at_

You can do that yourself, by going into the router's admin page and logging in. Just google the the model number for the router/modem and default user/pass.

If you connect our laptop straight to the router/modem combo and then open up command prompt and enter: ipconfig /all find the one that has default Gateway, and that should be the IP for the router. Then browse to that IP, enter in the user and password found on the search for make and model, find the settings for bridge on the router, and then, based on how you're set up, the google mesh system will become the IP issuing devices.

But to be honest, this all seems really over your head, and unless you're willing to break something, you're going to screw this up. The fact that you called Google support, rather than trying to fix it yourself, shows you're not actually willing to risk screwing something up.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Wtf have you done Indy?

All I had to do was take these out of the box, connect the first one directly to my router/modem, setup the other two and then place them where I wanted, and connect devices. I didn't have to touch any other settings on the Google devices or on my original router/modem. Haven't had any issues in the few years that we've had them.