Will This Team Go Bowling?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lol vol, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yes, but it's going to be close. I'll put us down for wins over Kentucky and Vandy and a loss to Missouri. But we could beat or lose to any of the three. None of those are gimmes, even Vandy. Kentucky's offense has been an absolutely disaster for three weeks now--they've only scored four offensive touchdowns against A&M, Vandy, and Missouri, and they needed a BS PI call to get their one against Mizzou. Now our defense is bad, so I wouldn't be shocked to see them push the score into the 20s, but they aren't in a good place right now, and after Georgia, I expect they'll either be hungover from a big win or further beaten down. Also, they haven't beaten us in Knoxville since what? 1984?

Mizzou is bad, but so are we. That could go either way, and I'm used to us losing to Missouri when we're not clearly, clearly better (see: 2012, 2014).

Vandy is probably worse than us, but they're not so bad that they can't beat us. Still, on our second homefield, I think we can snag that one.

lol vol likes this.
  2. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Not with JG. He's not going to win tight games which will happen coming down the stretch.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

JG didn't give up 7 to 10 yards a carry. South Carolina won on offense, not defense. JMO.

utvol0427, cpninja and lol vol like this.
  4. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

As much as it pains me to say it, no. We will not go bowling and get the much needed practice time. In fact, I don't think we will win another SEC game this year. God I hope I am wrong!

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

True. But the bad defense didnt have the ball in their hands at the 50 with 2 minutes left to win the game and not get past the 40 either. It factor usually shows up at times like that.

Butthole likes this.
  6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

This, along with JGs issues and questionable play calling on O makes me say no. I think the Vandy game will decide whether Pruitt matches Butch/Hoke in year one.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The good news is Pruitt has at least 1 more SEC win than butch/hoke.

I was hoping that under better coaching we would see a JG turnaround similar to Compton. JG may have the physical skills, but he just does not seem to be mentally capable (whether it is poor personal preparation or mentally limited, IDK.)

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

As far as the Crompton turnaround is concerned, Lane Kiffin>Tyson Helton.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I dunno, I feel like JG has improved significantly. I feel like he has a couple of bad moments, one of them at the end of the game Saturday, that stick out and shadow out some of his better moments.

A-Smith likes this.
  10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I just don't see the "significant" descriptor. To me it is more of a couple of good moments rather than a couple of bad moments. He just does not seem to be able to see the game.

Keller was strictly the insurance policy for JG getting injured, IMO. I think because JG has more than 1 year, they keep hoping that the proverbial light will come on for JG and they can't risk him transferring if he gets his feelings hurt.

11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Don't get me wrong, I want that kid to be successful and for the proverbial light to go on rather than go out with the continuous beatings that he seems he can't avoid. Some good old fashioned hogmollies on the line would help.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Had we beat USC. 100% yes.

75% now. I think UK is gonna be prime after close games with Vandy, Mizzou and now UGA coming to town. The book is out on them offensively we just have to man up and force their QB to play QB. I'm hoping for an emotional loss this weekend and not a totally butt kicking by UGA.

We get to 5 with 2 left and I'm back to 100%.

13. clownbaby

clownbaby kidbourbon version 2 point no

Lucky guess

Savage Orange likes this.
  14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Yep

3-1 finish, trip to the liberty bowl so we can spend festivus in Memphis.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Nope. We lose to [unt cay]ucky and Mizzou. I haven't seen Vandy play, but if we lose to 3 of our remaining games, Pruitt needs to start looking for a new job. How many years is his contract?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

JG was Crompton 2008 level bad last season. He’s not Crompton 2009 level good yet, but he’s a lot better. It would help if had he kind of run game to lean on that Crompton had.

Poppa T likes this.
  17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Trollin’ trollin’ trollin’ Rawhiiiiiiiide!!

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I think UGA physically wrecks Kentucky and they limp to Knoxville

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  19. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Like a visit to NYY’s truck stop stall

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

They may do that.

I'm not sure that's better than it being a competitive game and hope being taken in the end.