World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Jun 11, 2014.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't deny Germany was the better team, but if Argentina hits one of their sitters, it's theirs (and one of them was missed by Messi). Howedes had a nice chance...but other than that they didn't generate too much until Schurrle's late in regular time. Possession is all fine and dandy but it doesn't mean much if you don't score.

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I agree but Problem is Argentina didn't score because they lacked the killer instinct. They played much better D tonight but in the end, the Germans had better tactics and a better team.

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Now I have to order a new jersey, four stars baby.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

Maybe saying "Germany was lucky Argentina didn't win" is a better way to say it than "Argentina should've won"

5. VB

VB Member

I thought Argentina had better chances in regulation, but obviously did not have much possession. The Messi miss was bad. Palacio choked his away. Higuain just completely mis-hit the ball in the first half.

Germany is the better team, but Argentina should have won this game.

6. VB

VB Member

Their defense has been that good the whole tournament.

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

3-2 vs Nigeria. Nigeria was not a great team. Looking back on the scores it looks like they did ok. I just remember in a beer fog watching the Argentina games that I wasn't impressed. I was impressed today.

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

The best team in the world won today.

Congrats Germany.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Cracks me up. Argentina should gave won and then recites all the blown chances.

10. VB

VB Member

I don't know why you are getting so caught up on semantics. We all agree that Germany is the better team, but Argentina had the better scoring chances today.

11. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Pretty glad Argentina didn't win. Terrible offensive showings all tournament long and today was no different.

Germany created as much as Argentina if not more, IMO. Argentina's best chance was Higuain when Kroos headed it blindly to him in acres of space. I don't really think they get credit for that.

Speaking of, Higuain... what an *******.

But anyways, Germany's finishing took away from the perceived chances. I'm thinking of one where Ozil teed up Kroos on a late run to the top of the box and he tried to pass it into the net. First 90 seemed pretty level to me.

12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Germany had plenty of chances too. Schuerrle had a point blank chance in the 37th minute. Klose would have had a wide open header in the 45th minute if Mueller's cross had been better. They hit the post right before halftime and Toni Kroos had two wonderful opportunities from just outside the penalty area that he normally would put away. The only time I felt Argentina were outplaying the Germans was the first fifteen minutes of the second half.

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Teams that can't take advantage of their chances shouldn't win

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Btw how the hell did Messi win the Golden Ball?

15. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah he wasn't better than any number of guys

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Argentina played their best game of the tournament and lost. Germany is the rightful champion of Earth.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Beer

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Well. I am sad it is over. I love the month long World Cup tournament, especially the group stages. A complete orgy of world soccer and I love it. Now, I must wait around until 2018, and even then, because of the time difference, it will be hard to watch it.

Congratulations to Germany, whom I love watching play. I hope the USA emulates as best as they can what Klinnsman did in Germany.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I said this in another thread, but 2016 will be worth watching. If you just want to watch great soccer, Euro 2016 will be worth your while. If you want to watch great soccer with America involved in your own time zone, the Copa America Centenario will be worth your while. 16-team tournament in 2016, hosted by the United States. The field is as follows:

Brazil
    Argentina
    Colombia
    Uruguay
    Chile
    Ecuador
    Venezuela
    Paraguay
    Peru
    Bolivia
    USA
    Mexico
    [Central American Champion]
    [Caribbean Champion]
    [two winners of a playoff among the top four finishers in the 2015 Gold Cup who aren't already qualified]

May not have quite the strength of the World Cup field, but it's gonna be well worth watching.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Will there be enough coverage without buying some exotic sports package?