World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jun 15, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Germans just don't have any luck when they enter Russia.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Officially the worst World Cup ever. USA doesn't qualify. Peru loses after dominating. Mexico wins. [uck fay]ing hate this shit. Seriously, between Peru and Germany having a thousand shots on goal, how does one not go in?

On the other hand, Germany looked really lethargic, completely unimpressed.

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

It’s now a legit possibility that we get Brazil-Germany in the round of 16.

4. NorrisAlan

As much as I hate it, Mexico had a great game plan.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

And, I think I would take Brazil. Germany was slooooowwwww. I was shocked at their lack of desire. They looked as if they thought they already won the Cup.

6. NorrisAlan

Low is on his third cycle. I think he may have out stayed his time.

7. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Yep, should have stepped down after the euros two summers ago. I know he just signed an extension, but if they don’t get out of the group, which is now a possibility, hard to see him staying on.

8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

9. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Alaba and Lewandowski are German in a perfect world. Those two would complete the team.

10. NorrisAlan

Brasil is a bunch of whiney diaper wearing babies.

11. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I know it's early and they haven't even played but with every other big team doing their best England impression, can the Three Lions actually play above themselves and win the damn thing?

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Unlikely.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I understand that the top 2 teams from each division advance to the round of 16 - but are they then all re-seeded, or do they just play an opponent from a pre-selected divison?

And, is the round of 16 a single elimination round? If not, then what? Losers bracket?

Can any games in the Round or 16 end in a tie? If not, how do overtime rules work?

Nvm:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  15. NorrisAlan

I know that the first and second team from each group is placed on opposite sides of the bracket (at least I think they are), and the winner of a group gets to play a second place team from another group. I am not sure if each group is pre-set to play another before the tourney begins (Group A winner plays Group H 2nd place team, etc).

It is single elimination, if a game ends in a draw, 30 minutes of extra time are played (no instant death, two 15 minute periods). If it is still tied, then they go to a penalty shootout, each team takes 5 penalty shots.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It predetermined from a selected group - 1 from Group A plays 2 from B and 1 from B would play 2 from A. That’s a very rudimentary example.

Round of 16 forward is a knockout stage. Lose and go get ready for you club season.

No ties. Two additional 15 min OT periods, no golden goal. If still tied. It goes to PKs.

Edit: Well that waste of words.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When they expand to 48, is knockout going to 32 teams?

18. NorrisAlan

I believe so.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

3 team groups seems boring, but I get that it makes it stay the same number of games for a finals run