Worley it is

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 14, 2014.

1. I agree. He needs to make a bowl. But 5-7 isn't some kind of train wreck. Anything better than 6 wins is exceeding expectations, unless you're a "we're TN" type that thinks it's the 90s.

I expect them to lose to someone they shouldn't lose to, with the key to them making a bowl being an upset.

2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

6-6 and a Music City or BBVA Compass Bowl berth and I don't think anyone but the ardent idiots among our fanbase would complain.

3. Well, we'll always complain. 6-6 will be meeting expectations, but any efforts like last year's Vandy game will be disappointing. The Dooley trash has largely been taken out, so those efforts need to go away. No more AJ dancing while the defense drives for the winning score, no more lackluster efforts, etc. Being "not up" for a game is a reality for every college football team, but Butch has simply got to win the game(s) where the effort isn't there. Sucks for him.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

5-7 is a train wreck for Butch. His recruiting has taken pressure off how poorly called the Mizzou game was, the Vandy debacle and the team quitting against Auburn.

For his sake, bowl eligibility is a must.

5. Vegas says 5.5. 5-7 is not a train wreck.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The Mizzou and Vandy games are what makes me wonder whether he has what it takes to be successful here.

7. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

They do have one recruiting advantage.

[​IMG]

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

For Butch's job security, 5-7 is a disaster

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

cancer in a can

10. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I think it will be a long time before science will be able to determine the true consequences of many of the FDA's "safe" artificial sweeteners. I'm sure in 100 years we will look back in amazement that humans actually ingested that shit.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's a train wreck relative to "coach who can win championships" expectations. It's not a train wreck relative to ddiapos expectations, but. . . well, I don't think I need to finish that.

Last year, in his own words, Butch was still "changing the culture." I know that's coachspeak a lot of the time, possibly the majority of the time, but after ddiapos the culture badly, badly needed to be changed. This year, he seems pretty confident that he has. I know what talent does. I know what youth does. I am interested to see the difference a team being mentally in the game will make. If it doesn't make any, that seems like a bad sign.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

We already know that aspartame is hell on your brain. I was told by my neuro that it was fine for me to drink in moderation but under no circumstances eat/drink anything containing the stuff.

13. Tar Volon

I prefer my sweetness to come from cane or malted barley (although I'll put up with corn sugar if I have to)

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Good post.

15. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

As long as that malted barley is fermented and carbonated

16. Tar Volon

More specifically, the sugars are extracted from the malted barley, and then the whole thing is fermented and carbonated. And bittered and chilled. Those are important too. Although I usually sample some before it's chilled and carbonated to see how it's coming along. Obviously not near as good, but you kinda get used to it.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That is probably the biggest reason I love that there is no walking at Jones' practices. Between drills? You're not walking. In a drill? You're not walking.

Jones also opens his practice because he's not hiding behind a shroud of practice mediocrity. He expects accountability from his team and he also delivers accountability to the fans and the media.

Will it translate on field? That's the problem, to me. I think Jones is the man for the job. He sets recruiting which he's acing. He sets practice tempo which he's acing. He sets the S&C which looks like it's paying dividends. Championships start at signing day and build through the off-season. You still need the right guy calling the plays. Many times that is what separates a 10-2 season from a 7-5 season.

I am not in bajayjay or especially Jancek's wheelhouse. I would hate it for Jones if he lets SEC success get sacrificed for not showing his friends and long-time coaching buddies the door. This is the year we'll know what kind of OC and DC we have.

18. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Ah a fellow brewer, nice. Just kegged an very hop forward RIS... awesome beer.

19. Tar Volon

Nice. I don't have the space to get kegging yet, but I recently bottled my fourth batch of one pale ale recipe that I obviously really like.

20. Tar Volon

These bits pretty much sum up my thoughts on CBJ