Yes or No.... Does Dooley get it done at UT?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by MaconVol, Feb 11, 2012.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

"8 Is Enough" vs. "8 Is Not Enough" - I like the new direction.

Sure, we look OK for now with an improving roster and a softer schedule, but it's fragile. It seems like Dooley has gotten off relatively easy after last season's performance and the massive exodus of the coaching staff. I'm half-expecting a game-changer before the whistle blows. Plus, I doubt we can run the ball regardless. 7 wins, and I hope Hart's target is ready to go.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The number of key injuries in both his third year at Louisiana Tech and second year at Tennessee were completely ridiculous. Couple that with the LSU and UNC endings in 2010, and I'm seriously wondering whether the guy is just cursed. Of course, if he is, I don't really want him at Tennessee.

I'm definitely not convinced that he's a good coach, but I am convinced that he has the worst luck of any coach I know.

3. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

Agree with these. He should have been gone after the UsuK game. The fact that he let the locker room get away from him like it did should have been a sure sign that he doesn't have what it takes to lead a championship team. A Tennessee team basically lay down during the KY game because they didn't want to play in a bowl. Hard to fathom how he wasn't fired.

Couple that with half of your staff leaving before signing day, and you have to believe the stories about him being someone that you wouldn't want to work with.

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

No. However, I think a bad coach could go 9-3 this year. I'm afraid Dooley will do that and everyone will be scared to fire him when Bray and the receivers leave and UT loses six games again.

5. Ron Mexico.

Ron Mexico. New Member

I try to not be over the top negative about anything. With that said, Dooley makes emotion based decisions. That is not a good quality for a coach or any executive to have. I have to believe he will ultimately not be successful at Tennessee.

6. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

IMO, until he shows different, I don't think he is capable as a head football coach. I don't think he has it in him to be successful here and I think he has served his purpose as a quick fill for the situation we were in a couple of years ago. If 60% of the things I have heard about the problems with staff and the general environment in the field house are true, then I feel he is incapable of leading a football program. I hope I am proven wrong, but his excuse machine and his lack of results on the field prove to me that he will never be able to cut it.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

These pretty much sum up my answer

8. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

As much as Kiffin is hated in these parts, he showed what a good coaching staff can do with an under-manned team. He did have EB and JJ, but he also had the Waynesville worm burner, the Sullins twins, etc.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't claim to be a man of science and rationalism and then say I think Dooley can get it done. While the possibility is mathematically there, there is absolutely no evidence provided thus far to indicate he will ever get us a championship, 9 wins this season or not. There is a lot of evidence to the contrary.

I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he is worthy of his position.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agreed. The only thing I would say different is that the more I hear him and see how he operates, the closer I get to truly disliking him. As a matter of fact, I have already crossed that threshhold. Just being honest.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cardinal, does 8.5 factor in a bowl game, or not?

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I definitely agree with this Tar. Im not ready to call him an awful coach just yet. I just know that he the most ridiculous luck of any coach in recent memory.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Is he gonna get it done.

Well there is 2 ways to look at that.

1. Is he gonna win enough games to keep his job another year? I think it takes a min. of 8 or 9, with 9 keeping him here. I think there is a better than 50% chance that he does.

2. Is Dooley gonna win to the level expected at UT, (championships, BCS bowls)? No. Not IMO.

14. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

You won't have to worry about any of that. If he wins 8 he is fired. If he wins 9 without a loss to Vandy or UK he is safe. That's the unwritten standard that he is very aware of for 2012.

+1

Hart is a career guy. This is his first time doing what he's worked for for the last 20 years. No number of 9 win seasons by Fredo Corleon is going to keep him from purging the entire football staff whenever he feels like he has the opportunity to get shit done.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not sure, but my gut says it doesn't.

16. ncmedicman

ncmedicman Member

If they only manage 8 regular season wins this season, he can't afford to lose a bowl game to a mediocre ACC/Big 10 squad (Wake Forest, Virginia, Northwestern, Illinois, etc.) IMO. Win 9, a bowl loss to a some stronger competition (Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St., Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Florida St., etc.) would probably get him another year. Lose to Vandy or Kentucky and he's done.

All that being said, I hope he makes it. I think the new coaching staff could be a positive, provided that they're all pulling in the same direction. Seems that there wasn't a lot of cohesion among some of the coaches last season, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

If he survives this season, I'll say (hesitantly) he stays HC for a lengthy period, but his success/failure will hinge on the strength/weakness of his staff. For his sake, they better start succeeding this season.

17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I hope the decision is made before the bowl game. 8-4 and he should be gone.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wish it were football season.

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

20. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Uh oh, Oldvol with the first yes. Your a brave soul. Im honestly 50/50 about Dooley, but what makes you so confident in saying yes?