You Friggin people....

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Chiutfan, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If you think that Texas Tech wasn't drastically over-matched at all 22 positions last week in Norman, you aren't paying attention. It was a nail-biter at the end, but at one point, Tech was up 31-7.

Hoping that an infusion of talent will cure the ills? Sure anything is possible (not that I think Tennessee even sniffs a Top 10 class - I don't). But how much is a cabinet full of talent helping Mack Brown right now? Wil Muschamp? Mark Richt? Wait - it gets even worse - and consider that CDD isn't even recruiting to their level at the moment....and probably never will.

Is our youth the reason that we can't seem to manage the clock before either half?

Is it agonizing to think about that LSU loss last year because Chuck Smith was stupid enough to send another unit on? Well, who hired the damn guy - a draft handler - and gave him his first gig at a major program, again?

How well do you think CDD's comments regarding the inability of the team to properly shower went over in the locker room? Is that a coach you'd play for?

Hell, let's first get control of your mom, then find someone who can count to 12 and field a punt cleanly and we'll worry about this other "big shit" later, I guess.

It's like my Mamaw always told me (yeah, my Mamaw, [uck fay] you) - people will always tell you who they are, you just have to believe them.

I dont mean to be coy here, but I also don't want to throw anyone in the street - they can pipe up if they'd like to add more - but some have heard serious rumblings (you know, like Thunder) since the USCe game, and from very influential people, just as I have also and independently heard the same from entirely other but equally large figures as well - if you think CDD is safe beyond next year, you're kidding yourself. It's an entirely new regime it seems, both on stage and behind the scenes, and they don't appear to be the "read-watch-the-film-hope-for-the-best-and-then-react" sort of folks to which we've become accustomed. They are proactive, and they want results. Not promise. Not hope. Not potential. Not close enough is good enough. Results.

And they don't believe that a head coach making millions of dollars automatically becomes a member of their immediate family on the day they don the orange tie. Or, pants. If he can't get it done - and [uck fay] your 5-year plan to get to 8 or 9 wins nonsense - he's going to get gone, and too quick to talk about it.

And you know who's more cognitively aware of these facts as anyone? CDD, himself.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Slow golf clap

3. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

will we spend the $$$ necessary to get a coach who can 'definitely win'? I'm not sure we threw all the $$$ we could at the hire in jan '10 ... did we?

4. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

Who is the coach we need?

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That list seems to change on a yearly basis.

6. vollygirl

vollygirl Guest

I'm just wondering who we should've thrown the money at instead of Dooley, that would've said yes.

7. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I remember hearing Houston coach Kevin Sumlin's name being in the mix at the time. I think it will be easier to hire the next coach now that Dooley has built the roster back up but he'll get the chance to keep his job next season.

8. Tenacious D

1. Answering this question would do two things:
    A. Strike you as being unbelievable.
    B. Hurt your feelings. Like, we couldve had Bill Self and chose Buzz Peterson, instead, hurt.

2. As to how much $$$ might be thrown around - we had one of our major wallets on the shelf for the last two hires. That won't be the case again from what I understand.

Some things are best left unknown. Others can chime in if they wish.

9. Tenacious D

Excellent memory.

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

understandable, however when the majority of your talent is either frsh or soph, its kind of hard to evaluate when they're playing against schools that have had at least 3-4 solid classes.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Keep clapping. I'll whistle.

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'll give you an 'AMEN!' my brother. You can flat out throw down the Gospel.

13. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Chills brah.......chills. Excellent post

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree and don't believe we would be talking about Dooley right now if it weren't for the injuries to Bray and Hunter. We all know our depth issues and that they will not be resolved overnight. That's why I said we don't know how far he can take that talent.

15. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

And the recruiting clss sememed like it could completely fall apart.

Just a thought, but everyone seems to think that the next time we look for a coach, we'll be able to make a much better hire. What if we make a hire after the 2013 season? We'll possibly be losing about 15 second and third year starters, and I'm not sure coaches will see it as a situation they can walk into and win right away.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes, but they'll still be inheriting a pretty much full roster with top 15-ish classes that haven't been completely and ridiculously ignoring certain positions. Dooley's system of recruiting will almost undoubtedly have us in better shape by the end of his third year. It's unlikely his successor would have to have a bunch of guys switch positions (Aaron Douglas, Austin Johnson, Marsalis Teague, Prentiss Waggner, Corey Miller, Malik Jackson, Marlon Walls, Daniel Hood, Raijon Neal, Anthony Anderson) or start a bunch of walk-ons.

Also, don't forget how badly the timing worked out for us with Kiffin leaving. That turned off a lot of coaches, because they'd really be screwing over their current employers were they to leave.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  17. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I didn't phrase that right. We'll obviously be able to get a bigger name than Dooley, but I'm not sold that coaches considering the job in 2013 will feel that great about their chances to win quickly. Sure, they won't have to fight to win 6 games, but I wouldn't be surprised if potential coaches saw it as an uphill battle to catch the top teams in the conference. Obviously we aren't going to expect a coach to win a championship his first season, but I feel like it may still be hard to convince a top coach to take the UT job if he sees it as a place where he'll have to wait 3-4 years to start winning.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  18. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Just ask bammer. They got fed up with their losing all the time and went and got Nick Saban. I say give Dools a couple more years to see what he can do and if it ain't flying by then open up the checkbook and get a big name proven guy.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think Dooley is doing any worse than Mike Shula was on the recruiting trail. So, I don't really see why it needs to be take all that long. Now, with Bama and LSU in full-on dynasty mode, it might actually be a little bit, but I don't think it would be due to UT having no talent base for the new guy.

20. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member