@LSU 2/23/2019

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Feb 23, 2019.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I think Waters not playing really affected how we underperformed today. I think we win by 20 if he plays.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This isn't new. This has been the way the team plays for a while now. The last 10 or so games of that winning stream was games like this. The other teams just weren't good enough to punish UT for their play.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Same here. I've worried about this team's mentality in games like this, against top teams. We've given away a shocking number of leads, aside from Admiral going crazy in the Gonzaga game.

And, I hate to point it out, but this is sort of how Barnes' teams went at Texas, the late season fade.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I didn't see regression today. We outplayed them for the most part and led 90% of the game.
    I do see the game being more physical and we are going to have to step up. Alexander getting shoved around down there. He has to shove back or something.

5. Ssmiff

haha. Please don't say you hate to point that out. You point it out after every loss or tough game.

6. Ssmiff

all on the road and 2 in OT, for the record

7. Unimane

I hate to point it out because I'm a Tennessee fan and I want them to win. I deal in reality, though, not hope and dreams.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

We have lost 3 games this season. All 3 against teams ranked in the top 13. None on our home court, and 2 in OT.

Now, if we lose to UK at home and drop another to someone else, I’ll be with you.

9. Unimane

And? They lost. When they win, you don't care about the details, only when they lose do you make considerations or some attempt at analysis. They also had no business losing 2 of those 3.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Turner was trash for most of the day. Bowden was a no-show.

That one hurts because it should have been a W, but road is tough in conference play.

UK is a must win.

A-Smith likes this.
  11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Scofield was a one man show on offense today. We will not continue to win important games if this continues to be the case. We had 10 assists today, which is half of our average.

Alexander fades against stiff competition. I have no clue what analysts have seen in him that makes them think hes an NBA prospect .

If Turner and Bowden dont shoot well from outside, we will be toast against good teams. They were no where to be found against UK and LSU. Cant have that.

Bone being sick affected his play. No doubt

I think William's should have tried to go at the rim more in this game. I think we were hesitant to early in the game and not getting to the line hurt us.

Our team defense has gotten weaker as the season goes along. We didnt rebound in a key situation late in the game. After Williams scores and hits the free throw all we needed was a rebound at the other end and they get 2 putbacks. The game is over if you just get the rebound and hit free throws at the other end.

The only encouraging thing I saw today was seeing Scofield get completely out of his offensive funk. Too bad we couldnt get help in other places. The game at Ole Miss will be telling.

Now pick apart my overreaction fellas. Have fun.

12. Ssmiff

Bowden on his man and in position late on those 2 jab step 3s they took and made. Big shots. Hes guarding the drive. 6 pts there late with good D stung.

13. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Their best player was out and still lost?

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

When you start playing the better teams they re able to take away something you do well or somebody. Up and until UK no one had really forced Bowden or Turner to be good to win. When the were we rolled people. When they wernt we still won but not as comfortably.

Neither of those has played well as of late and its showing up in the W/L column now.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Bowden and Turner aren’t being neutralized by defenses. They’re missing open shots and free throws. They were a combined 1-19 against LSU and UK this year.

If that continues, of course we are going to lose against good opponents. But I think they’ll figure it out and start hitting shots again.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If anything, this game shows me the potential of this team. On the road against a top 13 team, 2 key shooters not hitting shots, our best player failing to finish offensively for most of the night, our PG sick or injured or both, 15 less free throws than our opponent, and it took a foul with .6 seconds left in OT to beat us?

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

LSU were down their best player.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And the other didn't score until the final minute of the game.

19. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Not blaming the loss on this, but LSU has gotten ridiculously lucky with officiating errors in end of game situations.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And a guy who averages 10 a game, who I believe took over primary ball handling duties, went for 30. It offsets, to an extent.