OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Yep. Southeastern is a whole experience and is what hooked me into the independent music scene. I casually listened to Childers for a while. At some point a couple of years ago, I went back and listened to the whole album at once and it gave me a similar experience. Just never gets old to me.

justingroves likes this.
  2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My grandmother was just diagnosed with bile duct cancer. Won’t know for a few weeks just how rapidly it’s growing.

If it’s the rapid version she’s looking at 3-5 months. Slower version doc said she could go up to 5 years. She’s 86 and surgery isn’t an option because of how invasive it is and her age.

86 is a good run. But damn this one stings bad.

SetVol13, warhammer, gcbvol and 3 others like this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[uck fay] cancer.

Love on her all you can while you can, my friend. It sucks.

IP and NYY like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry to hear. When will they know the type?

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Re: the wild west conversation here -

[​IMG]

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So sorry my man. I hope it's the slow one.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

They've sent off a piece of it for biopsy. Basically at her age he said the surgery would cause her excruciating pain, and chemo/radiation wouldn't really do anything due to where it is. He was able to place a stint inside the tumor to hopefully slow some of it. She is severely jaundiced. Because of the jaundice he said that in roughly 3 weeks, if she is still jaundiced then it is moving rapidly. If her skin goes back to normal color, then it will be the slower/less aggressive version.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Thanks brother. Me too.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wish her well. Hopefully the stint gives some relief.

NYY likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Thanks. One positive is he said that it has not spread to the liver, which was their first concern anyway.

She's a tough ole bird. Handling it better than we all are currently.

gcbvol likes this.
  12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

So sorry, NYY. Sounds like she's tough, so hoping for the best possible scenario.

NYY likes this.
  13. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

That sucks. 86 or not. Strength and love to all impacted.

NYY likes this.
  14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Have her call your phone and leave a message giving her thoughts on you. My son did that with my Mom near the end. Hearing her voice describe their relationship has been a bittersweet source of comfort for him.

I will include her in my prayers.

SetVol13, justingroves and NYY like this.
  15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I have to go to her house at least once a week just to fix either the tv or her phone. I’ve kept every single voicemail. And they all start the same.

Consistent. To the point of best being described as a rock.

16. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Sorry to hear NYY, prayers sent.

NYY likes this.
  17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Thoughts are with you NYY, hope you get the best news possible

NYY likes this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Hoping for the best NYY

NYY likes this.
  19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm beat this morning. I started work at 430 yesterday morning, finished at about 330, took my daughter to look at cars, and when I was finishing up, I got a text that my dad was going to the hospital because of chest pains. I'm not sure what time I got home last night, but I missed my alarm this morning and am glad I'm working from home today.

Oh, my dad seems to be fine. There was no indication of any new or lingering heart problems or pulmonary thromboembolisms or whatnot. He went to a chiropractor this morning and seems to be doing better. His pain symptoms reminded me a lot more of pleurisy than something cardiac, and the doc at the ER seemed to agree based on what they checked him for.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I spoke too soon about my dad it seems. Tuesday was only his first of three trips to the ER this past week for pain in his chest and back and shortness of breath. There was a trip to his primary care mixed in as well. He was sent home Friday being told that he has pericardial effusion. Not a great condition to have, but it does largely explain his symptoms moreso than some of the other things that were discussed earlier.

I was in the room with him for the first time Friday. It bothered me seeing him like he was. It's not just the pain though. He had an attitude that reminded me of my mom when her passing was nearing, a just not caring about any of the possible outcomes.

Told y'all all of that to tell you this. If you've still got your parents, either of them or both, there are some harder times coming regardless of how old they get it how they might be taken from you. Call them, visit them, or be annoyed by them if that's what they do to you. Just take the time now with them. I know it sounds cliché, but it really isn't.

I'll step down off my soapbox.

NYY likes this.