2014 Midterm Election- Results/What's to come

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Nov 5, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I believe that is called false equivalency. The GOP didn't want to compromise before and vehemently said so. They still don't. They explicitly say so. So you interpret this as being the same as refusing to be bulldozed over. Got it.

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Those are sensible bills. This election was about making sensible changes that Reid was too scared to bring to the floor for a vote. This is how warped this country has gotten if these bills are considered too extreme.
    1) increase H1B visas, enact a bill that would allow foreign students who get advanced degrees here in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields to receive green cards with their diplomas. Put more patrols at the border.
    2) You are dead wrong on the Pipleline: Trade unions are adamantly in favor of it. Such a bill would pass overwhelmingly, perhaps with enough support to override an Obama veto. At least 10 dems will vote in favor especially those affected by energy in their home state with 2016 re-election aspirations.
    3) This levy on revenue is very destructive for this critical field and is driving companies offshore to make medical devices.
    4) The mandate killing low wage workers and making them find two part time jobs as opposed to working 40 plus at one. It is actually forcing people onto the health exchanges which are unaffordable if you are married and making greater 60k a year because they do not qualify for the subsidized plans.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think our political system was set up for gridlock though as a check and balance. I generally don't think we need tons of new laws and policies.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Why would we not do the pipeline. This country already has tons and tons of pipe line running across it for this purpose.

I'd rather not stop it just so Warren Buffett can keep making a killing.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Not really.
    I just find it hilarious how they all b!tched and moaned about the Rs not compromising and blocking Obama (like he had some kind of moral high ground) are now talking about vetos and filibusters at every stop.

6. Low Country Vol

Obama and Reid are so much an ideologue, it was a reflected in last nights results. The people simply had enough of their shit.

7. Low Country Vol

Bush passed bills with overwhelming bipartisan support that expanded govt: No Child Left Behind and Medicare Plan B.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Monopolies don't have stocks and sales that drop by 50 percent when a. Competitor puts out a better product and then double 2 years later after they put out a better product. And listing profit as some sort of metric for profit margin is silly. Walmart has a 2 percent profit margin and makes a hell of a lot more than $7 billion

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I wouldn't really call those republican ideas

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

And both of those bills were horrible

11. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

12. Low Country Vol

Dennis Hastert introduced the Medicare Plan B law. Kennedy wrote the No-Child Law. My point was Bush bent over backwards for the liberals and compromised. I can not name a single bill introduced by the Republicans that Reid has brought to the floor for a vote.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

ludicrous. It isn't a republican plan. It's a politician plan bent on finding ways to get votes, not to provide health insurance.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

my bad. That is true.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is going to be quite bumpable in a few years.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think it's safe to say they overpromised and under delivered.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree on that.

18. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

What is justifiable is extremely subjective

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

1) Why is it not okay for blue collar folks to have to compete for their jobs, but it is okay for me to have to fight off foreigners? Serious question.

2) I may be wrong on what would happen, but I am right in that it isn't a good thing long-term. You are right, it is the politically expedient thing. But it isn't the smart thing.

3)The whole industry is a sham. You want to know why medical costs are so much higher here than the US? Because we bend over backwards to the point of cutting off our noses to spite our face.

4) All I hear from red states is how bad it is, whereas in blue states it seems to be working just fine. If folks think it is too expensive, they should support a single payer system and cut out the middle men.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

1) the whole point of the H1B program is it lets in people we have a shortage of.

2) how in the world would cheaper and safer energy transportation be a bad thing long term?