2014 Midterm Election- Results/What's to come

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Nov 5, 2014.

1. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, I suppose? It is what it is to me. Instead of both sides saying let's drop this shit n get something done it's just a cycle. On some level, when the ideologies are so far seperated, I don't know how it could work any other way.

2. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

If people are voting for representation, then the elected official owes it to the constituency to gridlock as a means of checks and balances until such a time that both sides can compromise.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

2) if we keep throwing tax dollars into wind eventually it might stop blowing away.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

No argument there.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

1) Please provide tangible empirical evidence of this. Increasingly, it seems companies here don't want to have to pay American wages for them. http://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...-the-science-and-engineering-shortage/284359/ I'm STEM, and I am telling you there is not a surplus of jobs.

2)Safer how? These pipelines leak all the time.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

1) Using 2011 job openings data from the Conference Board for the 100 largest metropolitan areas, we find that 43 percent of job vacancies for STEM occupations with H-1B requests are reposted after one month of advertising, implying that they are unfilled. By contrast 38 percent of vacancies in non-STEM occupations requiring a bachelor’s degree go unfilled after one month, and just 32 percent of job postings for all non-STEM occupations. In a statistical analysis of over 50,000 openings, we find that those requiring STEM knowledge take significantly longer to fill, even controlling for requirements for education, experience, training, and managerial knowledge, as well as wage rates and metropolitan area location. The most commonly requested H-1B occupations in each metropolitan area also take longer to fill.

H-1B visa holders earn more than comparable native-born workers. H-1B workers are paid more than U.S. native-born workers with a bachelor’s degree generally ($76,356 versus $67,301 in 2010) and even within the same occupation and industry for workers with similar experience.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2013/05/10-h1b-visas-stem-rothwell-ruiz

2) hell of a lot safer than using tankers and trucks to transport it.

Their incident rate is 99.9993 percent, based on the 13 billion barrels the company has handled over the past 10 years.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101898359#.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System disagrees.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a client whose company makes these pipes. he claims they can withstand a 10.0 earthquake.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

That has been roundly and soundly criticized for various reasons, including not controlling for location. If I hire 3 IT guys in San Francisco, they're going to be paid much more than the average amount because they're in San Francisco.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

harnessing the sea has to be the future eventually. I've always been under the impression that the salt water eroding the equipment is the problem.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's still hardly slave wages.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It leaked in 2001 when a dude shot it. Leaked in 2006. The leak detection system had failed and workers happened to visually notice it. Leaked in 2007 when a gas compressor turbine malfunctioned, and it was discovered the connecting pipe was not properly installed. A massive gas release occurred in 2009, which if ignited would have killed dozens of people and obviously triggered a serious fire.

And that's just lately. And only one particular pipeline system you mentioned. I could go on and on, they happen by the dozens every year.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I didn't claim it was. I'm just saying the STEM shortage is mostly a myth. If we're bring in STEMs, let us be fair and bring in blue collar workers too.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

4 times in 14 years is a problem? how many tanker trucks do you think got in accidents during that same time period?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  16. Beechervol

Regulated? Or just whoever can manage to swim or climb under or over a fence?

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have many friends who work in technology in the silicon valley and they certainly don't think it's a myth. In the end, I can't find a ton of fault with bringing in highly educated and fairly highly paid people into this country. history has shown you want more of those people, not less, even if you don't have the jobs for them today. just look at the number of immigrants that have started large tech companies in this country. we surely don't want them starting them in india all else equal.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got 2 guys that work for me that spent years putting them in

20. Beechervol

Had one not 300 yards from where Im currently sitting run off the road just a few months ago. Emptied it out.

On the bright side A friend of mine worked on the Hazmat clean up crew. Good $