Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bud Selig said it didn't happen

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You have no evidence what was in it, sir.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The 190 foot bombs are evidence enough.

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Gateway drug to pop rocks

5. CardinalVol

Now that's funny.

6. CardinalVol

Whatever.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Every kid is on last notch of their hat.

8. CardinalVol

That, actually, isn't too far from the truth.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm coaching a Rocky Hill 8U all star team tonight in city tournament over at Claude Walker. Should be a blast. My son is 7, so it's our first experience doing something like this. With a 350+ fence, I'm anticipating a LOT of little league homers. Our rocky hill fence is 150 ft.

10. CardinalVol

Good luck. I'd keep a close eye on my assitants though if I were you. Guy I work with's kid is in the 6U. It sounds intense.

I'd love to be able to put my guys up against some competition like that.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm umpiring for Parks and Rec here in town. Talk about a different perspective.

12. CardinalVol

I'm so offering to pay coaches to give you hell now that I know this. I'll pay fines, penalties, whatever.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No fine for ejection in Parks and Rec.

14. CardinalVol

More money to heckle then.

15. CardinalVol

Kid caught a fly ball and doubled the kid on first up. Another kid tagged home and about turned a double play off of it. One kid hit other pitcher with a shot.

And we still didn't play great.

16. CardinalVol

Family is out of town and I went and watch a buddy's from church 11-12 year old team last night. I was reminded why I'll never be able to just sit in the stands as a fan. Was ready to strangle a couple of dads within 10 minutes.

17. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

parents are a mess. Monday I watched as a mom -who is a varsity coach in another sport- stormed out of the gym with about 3 minutes to go in a game we were winning. She was mad that her senior daughter who was probably 2-30 I'm the last 72 hours had been pulled the last 5 minutes. Also did a mass substitution yesterday in a game we winning by 7 with 4 minutes to go. The first play in the subs didn't box out and have up 2 points and coach yanked them. On the bench I told the girls they had to box (which we have said a blue million times this week) this was varsity basketball and they weren't going to out jump anyone like the did in middle school. A mom sitting right behind the bench yelled "I think they know it's varsity".

Best part is we all work together lol

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The greatest advice I can tell any coach is learn not to hear anything in the stands. It's difficult at times. But the sooner you can learn to not hear anything, the easier your life becomes.

With that said if it ever comes to the point to where someone is being overly assholish and yelling I approach them in some down time. I tell them I'm not going to publicly shame their child, nor will I ever look into the stands and say anything to them. I expect the same courtesy back.

Half the time all they want is a reaction. From you as the coach, or they want to see who agrees with them in the stands. Parents suck.

19. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

It didn't bother me. I knew I was right. If you don't want to hear your child get coached dont sit behind the bench. The kids were all happy and the next time they were on the floor they rebounded.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My wife volunteered to be an assistant coach for my daughter's softball team with her sister's husband as the head coach. He takes off for a week on a fishing trip to Canada leaving it to her. I've refused to have anything to do with coaching rec league all 5 years my daughter has played. Yes, I refused to help when my bro-in-law took off. She now understands why I refused to get involved in any way except being a quiet dad. I may punch my bro-in-law in the mouth when he gets back for putting her in this position.