#FireColbert

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, May 7, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ever heard of talk radio? I'll hang up and listen.

2. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That's not fair. Everyone knows AM/FM is dead but with cord cutting, we're all forced to watch Colbert.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's right. You're an open-minded, independent thinking fellow who doesn't believe in labeling people or ideas.

4. cotton

I don't want Colbert fired. I want all of the people who would say, "that's uncalled for" if Alec Baldwin* said it about Obama to say "that's uncalled for!" when Colbert says it about Trump.

*I used him as an example because I think he is a Republican. It's possible that only his character on 30 Rock was a Republican. I really don't know or care.

5. cotton

And I think the level of disgust and vitriol aimed at those comments and the guy who made them should be roughly equivalent to those made by Colbert.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I didn't even know Ted Nugent said any of this.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm pretty sure Baldwin is one of the more liberal people in Hollywood.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Do you not go to the meetings?

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Since when is a college campus not a place for discussion?

10. GahLee

But Colbert can be defended?

11. GahLee

They call presidents [penis] suckers on talk radio?

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

While on the subject, Chris Pratt evidently had to apologize to the hearing impaired community for asking people to turn up the volume on a subtitled video he posted. Pretty damn offensive.

Personally, I find subtitles offensive to the visually impaired.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Colbert's a comedian on a late night entertainment vehicle; AC is a journalist on a prime time news program. Vastly different situations. Edgy/crude humor at another's expense is fairly indefensible for the latter.

14. GahLee

Well I guess you can just call yourself a comedian and get away with saying anything so long as it aligns with the left.

15. fl0at_

Since like... their beginning; they are a place where knowledge is passed from the "knowledgeable" to those seeking knowledge. It isn't about going back and forth, which is what a discussion is; it is meant to flow down hill.

It is only recently that anyone has had this idea that higher education is supposed to be about people coming together and "figuring" things out. And that has its place. But not every place. That's why you don't talk Classical Greek Literature in Physics. You have to know your place.

I'm sure your people can have a nice and long discussion at Bob Jones University. That doesn't mean they should also be able to have the same welcoming at Berkeley, anymore than the strongest supporter of abortion rights should expect a warm welcome at Bob Jones University.

16. fl0at_

Had to, like, if he didn't, someone would have killed his puppy? Bought fewer Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tickets?

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think he would have continued to be harrassed on twitter or something.

18. fl0at_

Yes, because one person, maybe two, ever, have done it. Therefore we should definitely make broad conclusions, and be super butt hurt.

19. fl0at_

That's tough. I bet he lost followers. Sab weeps.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Haha. No offense intended but you do realize this basically comes down to whining over life not being fair, right? Comedians can get away saying things others get in trouble over because they're comedians. Some things in life are not fair. Factors including profession or innate human characteristics may afford leeway not available to folks outside those groups. We all know this and likely take part without even realizing it.

And I do not believe comedians have carte blanche.

Last edited: May 10, 2017