#FireColbert

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, May 7, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

who are you to be the arbiter of what is right? Wow, this is great. Thanks for the new internet argument technique.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

And worse. bleeping doesn't change anything, right? Isn't that the precedent you decided?

3. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Speaking of Colbert, funny thing happened on his show tonight. The Comey news had just broke when they tapped the show. Colbert comes out and says, news just broke, Comey has been fired. The crowd cheers. Colbert then says, I guess we have a lot of Trump fans in the house tonight. The audience, mostly liberals as usual for Colbert, hadn't been conditioned yet by the media to know whether they were supposed to cheer or boo. They have received mixed messages from their liberal leaders in the past regarding Comey. Now they have been properly conditioned and if the segment were to run again, there would be a loud chorus of boos. Watch the video.

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/862146950996480000

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many blame Comey for the election. Not shocking that their first response is to cheer. Heck, you'd cheer the destruction of the United States.

5. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Destruction of the US is relative.

6. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Many, like Schumer, wanted him to step down...now they will use this as a political opportunity. Which gets us back to the destruction of the US being relative.

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They aren't suddenly loving Comey. There is a realization that Trump went after Comey in order to shunt the Russia probe and eliminate "adversaries" and accountability. You love it because you dig his authoritarianism and attempts to consolidate as much power in order for him to pursue the type of agenda you approve. However, I think you will be massively disappointed in potential jail time for Hillary, Yates and others on your hit list. I don't think it will be lost on people that the man who recused himself from the Russia investigation, Sessions, is now the one who pushed for getting rid of the guy leading it, during the hearings.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree.

9. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Allow yourself, for a moment, to look at this through the lens of Russia being a phoney narrative and tell me what you see.

10. Tenacious D

I agree.

11. Tenacious D

Colbert is a comedian, has a right to say whatever he wants, and to enjoy / suffer whatever results from it. I disagree with anyone who wishes to stifle the free speech and/or content of any comedian - notably, including Colbert - for making a joke about anyone or anything. If he violated some FCC reg, then he should be subject to a fair and equitable punishment for that, but nothing more.

Trump is POTUS, and this comes with the gig. I find it difficult to imagine that Colbert has somehow offended his sensibilities, or those of his supporters, considering some of the things that Trump himself has said, and continues to say.

It is ironic to hear some who routinely see a bigot in any comment, who try to assume and assign it to any action and who were relatively mum on the stifling of conservative speech on UC Berkeley's campus...now defend Colbert calling someone a "c**k sleeve". I also find it ironic that the crowd who (correctly) chides that overly-PC silliness now exhibits the same knee-jerk overreaction that they so desperately claim to despise when the left does it.

Simply, we're all hypocrites and/or crybabies, depending on the specifics of any given situation.

Acknowledge, accept and seek to correct it.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

If there is a post that says Colbert deserves to be fired I missed it.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Many, like Trump, praised him.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  14. Unimane

I see a paranoid president determined to live in his own altered sense of reality and desiring to assert the most amount of autocratic control in his position. He's trying to create the same type of atmosphere he had as a businessman, one of complete control. However, his new job really doesn't lend to this scenario and he's discovering, hopefully, that this is the case.

Regardless, the Russia thing is, clearly, not phony and not over.

15. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

You are delusional. There is zero evidence of a Russia collusion and that is after Trump and his campaign were spied on. It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to keep believing this Russian story.

16. Unimane

I didn't say that Trump, personally, was involved, (That I know) but we know for a fact that Russian tried to influence the election and we know that members of the Trump election team had sketchy connections to Russia, like Flynn.

And, Trump's campaign wasn't spied upon, as proven and noted repeatedly. It takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance to believe that there's nothing to the Russia story.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

"Russia's attempt at interfering with the election" and "Trump Collusion with the Russians" are used as Synonyms buy the left.

I believe one and not the other.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Speaking of Berkeley I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the response within my (heavily progressive) circles. While there were definitely those happy Coulter was cancelled, the majority of folks talking or posting about it came down on the side of Coulter and free speech. I think (hope) a byproduct of the current rift in our country is a growing understanding of the importance of, and respect for, free speech. We still have work to do on respecting what falls outside our ideologies but I'm hopeful we're making progress there, too.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds about right. Except I think it was "holster," not sleeve. But I didn't watch or see a clip.

20. Unimane

If they invite Coulter, then they should let her speak and debate whomever is there. However, I don't know why they invite people like her to speak at campuses, other than the fact that their outlandish rhetoric will draw a curious crowd. The professional shit stirrers, to me, offer nothing and, if one wants a conservative perspective, then there are many reputable conservative thinkers and speakers who are not merely attention hounds and shock-insult artists like Coulter or Milo.