It's Happening Again.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, May 25, 2013.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Top 10 this soon? If Gruden had us number 3 right now everyone would be talking about how dumb toos was for doubting him.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I lived there in 98/99, and compared to other dorms it was really nice. But, that's been almost 15 years too. I'm sure we've been caught and passed by others.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Tenn should have annual top 10 recruiting classes. end of story.

4. chavisut

Agreed. Nobody expected anything close to what we are doing this soon though.

The Vonn Bell aftermath was hilarious on this sight. Overreactions everywhere.

5. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Just for arguments sake, why?

6. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Because good SEC programs could do that with their eyes closed?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

same reasons tenn did have such recruiting classes before dooley arrived. don't tell me you've convinced yourself fulmer was a great recruiter?

8. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Whatever you say, dude. There was a high level of interest in some of these guys with Tennessee before Jones ever got here. That's saying something. Jones has done everything that he could do so far, and I'm happy with what I've seen. I'm not ready to overreact to a good start in recruiting though. I just want to see a competitive, well-coached team win 6 games. You seem to overreact to perfectly reasonable conclusions. I don't see anyone saying that Butch has not done a good job so far.

9. chavisut

Okay, guy.

Who on here thought Kelly or Hurd would be on board right now or at all?

10. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Fulmer was a great recruiter in his early years as the Tennessee head coach. He was recruiting at the levels that Bama and LSU are recruiting right now. But overall, Tennessee has the type of program that should be at a top ten level or close to it every year.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

but the question is why was he a great recruiter? i.e. was it tenn, the tradition, winning, or was it something special about phil. i think kiffin proved pretty cleary you can recruit at a high level at tenn even without major victories. only certain programs can sell the turnaround story like that. usc, ucla, texas, bama, michigan, ohio state, etc. tenn should be one of those programs. everywhere else you need momentum on the field to do that (generally).

12. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Nobody thought that. I will give Butch Jones a ton of credit for landing Hurd so quickly. However, Kelly wouldn't have been a big surprise if anyone but Dooley was the head coach before Jones. You are basing this idea on two recruits, not to mention leaving out any future commits that are interested in Tennessee right now.

13. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I see what you are saying, and I agree with everything you are saying. Fulmer stepped into a perfect situation after what Majors had done. I think Phil did take Tennessee to a new level of recruiting prowess when he first started. Now, some of this could be attributed to a weak SEC, but he was still king of the conference for a good period when it came to recruiting.

14. chavisut

You're basing your opinion on this class being handed to Butch based on 6 guys. Only three of those being elite recruits.

Creamer and the Berry twins could be any marginal 3 star any other year.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

When did I say that the class was "handed" to him? I'm just not ready to crown him as the next Saban as some seem to be.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I do not remember for sure, but I assume Hart was comparing it to what he had seen at Bama and possibly FSU. He thought, after the completion of the new practice facility, it was our biggest weakness.

17. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Not sure where Syracuse fits in here.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm beggining to come to the conclusion that the key to facilities is that they can't be terrible. everyone has top facilities these days. how many flat screens and huge weight rooms can recruits see before they start zoning out?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think you underestimate the drama of going to neyland stadium and seeing all those people. i know you can say the same for a lot of sec teams and even some big 10 teams, but combine that with nice facilities and a resonable drive for mom to see jimmy play and you have a winning combination. obviously start competing for sec championships and it gets even bigure.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Traditional power fallen on hard times.