It's Happening Again.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, May 25, 2013.

1. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Down to 29 due to the recent signing, correct?

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

There could be a lot of truth here

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll take it if that's the case.

4. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

All part of his process.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think it just shows how personal it can get, and how much it can kill you if your coach sucks AND is a [penis].

6. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

He may not have been our first (second, third, ...) choice but, you have to be impressed w/ what he and his staff have accomplished to date. Let's see if he can carry that onto the field. If the team shows continued improvement winning 6-7 gms this season, and being grounded w/ realistic expectation, wins 7-9 next, 8-10 in '15, and 10+ (consistently) thereafter, essentially enjoying (a repeat of) the successful run of the early mid-late 90's w/out the post-NC drop-off, he would have exceeded expectation and then a discussion on Hall of Fame can commence.

7. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

Once butch gets ten wins he'll move on to his "dream job"...

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

You're a little late, ps, Jones hit 10 in '11 and accepted his dream job a yr later. ;-)

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If you mean getting a job at a major university in a major conference with top notch facilities and a rich tradition equals Butch's "Dream Job", I'll buy that. If you mean being the HC at UT specifically equals Butch's "Dream Job", I'll never be convinced of that.

10. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

Not directed specifically at you Jay, but who cares?

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Don't sweat it.

It's no big deal. It just comes across as disingenuous bullshit to me. Win and all is forgotten.

12. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Too many missing pieces to get too excited....still too slow across the board, and the Vols are missing a QB, running back and proven receiver.

I am convinced that Butch is working as hard as he can, and recruiting, so far, is better than I expected it to be.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Jones could not have won me over by now, but he could have came damn close to losing me.

Thus far, he has not lost me, and I'm pleased with his efforts / the recruiting haul. The kissing babies and soothing the wounded inner child of our fan base may be a necessity to some, but it means jack shit to me, personally. I could not care any less about the "good will" aspect of it.

14. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

99 % of the fanbase is not guaranteeing Butch Jones succes. Some of you just thrive off the negative.
    Different day. Status quo. A science project should be done by a 5th or 6th grader to see why positive opinions piss some internet posters off so much.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Not thriving on the negative here, I just want to see if he can coach and win football games. That is all.

16. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

This :)

17. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

You are like most. I just don't understand why people get so mad if some 17 yr old kid on a website thinks his vawls are going to do well.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just think most folks on this website are older than 17 and like to base their opinions on something more substantial than youthful optimism and hopefulness.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It would be great if the fanbase didn't build unrealistic optimism up to the point where it takes the train flying clear off the track and crashing into Neyland Stadium before some of these guys realize we need to make a change.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Perhaps a similar project on the perils of broad-brushed watercolors should be undertaken, as well.

My comment was positive - I await the outrage / ire of those others, here.