Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 28, 2012.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the comments at the bottom are awesome. The clown citing 14 million newly insured is funny as all get out.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In full disclosure, personally, the ACA being given thumbs up is a glorious cash cow.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

why is that?

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm sure a lot of people are paying people like him a lot of money to comply to the law.

I know even a lot of school systems are cutting hours like crazy and contracting a lot of services out.

5. CardinalVol

Healthcare consulting, aka my job

(I still think ACA is awful.)

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

There's money in consulting. All about how well, and how long, one deals with the travel.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ahhh

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

In broad strokes, what makes the ACA so bad (and not philosophically bad, but business bad)? I think I asked why all of a sudden rates are going up, and I think it was the amount of coverage required, but what if you already had that much coverage? Why would the ACA cause THAT to go up? And wouldn't the ACA (in theory) just pass the cost from indigent care from one portion of the insurance company onto another (and the hospital)? It isn't like all of a sudden medical requests are going to balloon (or are they?).

What could be done to make the medical situation in this country better, because what we were doing was untenable. I know many will say "more competition, opening up of markets", and I agree, but will that solve all the problems (where medical costs were outpacing inflation by huge factors)?

9. CardinalVol

I've kind of lucked out in that regard. Most of my client base is going to be within a 2-3 hour drive from here. There's going to be some longer distances invloved, but the vast, vast majority is going to be drivable.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Get rid of consultants.

11. CardinalVol

Big, big picture here.

1. A lot of people who aren't paying for things have to be paid for by someone.
    2. This is all based on actuarial values.
    3. Regulations and such require more time, effort, and expense.
    4. Eventually costs get passed down to lowest level, the consumer.
    5. Doctors want to (and deserve) to make good money.
    6. Insurance companies are 100 times more evil that you actually think.

12. CardinalVol

Step in right direction for sure.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they also raised the minimum requirements and coverage for a lot of plans. try getting a low cost catastrophic injury plan at this point.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Open up a BBQ joint?

15. CardinalVol

If you teach me that coffee ice cream your brother was talking about.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We've removed almost all market aspects out of health care. There's no free lunch and the ACA added a lot of regulation to an already over regulated market. In a nut shell, healthy young people don't want to buy insurance leaving the pools high risk, which will have to be paid others in the pool by higher premiums and through tax subsidies.

Consumers pay for the extra cost of meeting those regulations. Also MD's are basically a closed Union shop due to the AMA. This cuts the amount of doctors which increases the cost.

17. CardinalVol

Could also throw in we're probably covering a lof of nuanced things now that weren't covered before as well.

18. CardinalVol

As to how to fix healthcare? At this point, nuke the entire thing and start over.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd love to know the percentage of people getting subsidies for obamacare who can actually afford it, but just have little taxable income. drug dealers, trust fund babies, etc must love this shit. I bet the number is staggering.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup at this point single payer would actually be an improvement and that's scary.