Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 28, 2012.

1. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

None of that stuff will fly at 8th Maxim. We run a tight ship here, **** it.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Pro America doesn't work in a place where politics has become a lucrative career. Buying votes is the rule.

5. JayVols

Absolute truth.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly, Jay. But, I'll admit that I, even though I think Cheney's borderline evil, think that was the highlight of his vice-presidency.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Borderline?

Good lord, I have a pet named Reagan and that dude was pure evil. And that was what made him what he was.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Part of Scalia's dissent. If this is an indication of how well it's done, it may be one of his finest. Fantastic quote here.

Also, I'd point out that Chief Justice Roberts will forever vilified by the GOP for this for the rest of his career. And, I'd also like to point out that his comparison of the individual mandate as being similar to a gas tax or earning an income. I don't remember being taxed for not buying gas or not working.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'd like to also add one more thing that lends tremendous credence to Scalia's argument. The crafters of this bill, themselves, said it wasn't a tax; thus, they weren't passing this under their power to tax, and it shouldn't be reviewed as such. This is absolute, 100% judicial legislation.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yes, I've often thought this was a very stupid slogan that Romney uses, and he says it over and over and over.

11. JayVols

Scalia didn't have an issue in redefining constitutional statute in the Arizona Immigration Ruling. He was fine allowing a state to enforce immigration which is clearly defined as reserved for the federal gov't. I'm not arguing right or wrong in either ruling. However, imo, Scalia is as partisan as Ginsberg just in the opposite direction. I don't see him as a great champion of the Constitution. I see him as one who has an agenda to jerk the nation to the right as far as possible.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Scalia didn't redefine anything and he just concurred in part of that opinion. Many people disagree with Scalia, but few that actually have read his stuff doubt his consistency with his views or his intellect. People that have agendas change their ways of analyzing things with each opinion to reach a desired result; Scalia is remarkably consistent and is my favorite justice.

13. JayVols

Scalia is consistent- consistently right wing. No offense, but saying a state has the power enforce items explicitly reserved for the federal gov't by the Constitution, even if neglected by said gov't, is by definition redefining the enumeration of powers as laid out in The Constitution of the United States and as a result is an activist rather than an interpretive position.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Are correspondences between the Justices subject to the FOIA?

I know that they meet, however briefly, to state their opinion on each case, to take a vote and to assign the authorship to each side (ruling and dissent)....should a transcript of these proceedings be made public (and before anyone yells it, no, this is nothing like a criminal / civil judge meeting with counsel in chambers).

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That you are repeatedly tying him to that singular (and most recent) opinion is telling, in that it shows your own distinctively left-leaning bent, albeit in the opposite direction.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not following any of this, Jay. What enumerated power did Scalia give the states the right to enforce?

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Just to throw something out there. Could Roberts have done this to get it back to the people? Could he have been that smart and thought about this that much? Just a thought, I heard it discussed and thought it was interesting.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not sure he's correct at all about his accusations about the most recent opinion.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The Federal Government needs to shut up and enforce its law. That would solve the issue as to whether states should be able to defend their land. They have left the door open to look foolish on the matter.

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It has an odd feel to it considering the mandate was not sold as a tax and Obama was very defensive when it was referred as one. Now, its the only avenue as to where it can stand. It sounds like many on both sides thought it would be struck down.