Official Predict Tennessee's Final Record 2016 Edition

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Jun 29, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The best ones get their worthless rear ends of the field so the offense can do their thing. 63-70 scores is the way football was meant to be played.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

9-3

Losses to Bama UF and UGA

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I can't even.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I know I've never lined up to take away an offense's bread and butter and force them to do things they aren't comfortable doing...

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, you're reacting to what they're comfortable doing. /s

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

justifiable arson

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

They won't learn if we don't burn.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

good ones impose and make offenses one dimensional. They might have an off night here and there, but they very much impose their will.

9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Through week to week scheming or better talent?

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Typically both.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Heck, just at UT you've seen the uptick in defensive performance when nothing really changed except the coaching. We didn't add a ton of talent from Dooley's last year to Butch's first, but they were much improved. I think you'll see another leap forward this season.

12. kidbourbon

Nothing except the talent.

Plus, this discussion started with my statement about the lion's share of preparation for a championship game being on the offensive side. This isn't a statement that defensive coaching doesn't matter, but that the week to week adjustments are small in comparison with offense. I stand by this.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Or how bad the defense got when Wilcox left

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Urban Meyer sits in a fancy chair in front of a fancy screen for hours on end figuring out how he can get a guy to break free against next week's defense. I think Nick Saban sits in a fancy chair in front of a fancy screen for hours figuring out how he can shut down next week's run game. I'm not sure how one side is preparing more.

And there wasn't an infusion of defensive talent from 2012 to 2013.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  15. kidbourbon

But 2012 was Sal Sunseri. Guy couldn't even install a defense.

16. kidbourbon

Again, Sunseri.

17. kidbourbon

The offense can come up with as many different plays as they want.
    The defense has to be in position to react to these many different plays, this necessarily limits how much they deviate week to week.

Nothing I'm saying here is mindblowing.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You don't think that reaction takes a ton of preparation? And playing different offenses week to week somehow means you have it easier?

19. kidbourbon

I think that the nature of defense generally means there are fewer things to adjust.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Most of the stuff you're talking about on offense is window dressing and doesn't change the nature of the play but more of using formation to try to get an advantage due to alignment.

I do agree that more instinctual players play on defense since they have to play and react but personally getting the defense ready each week is way more time consuming than offensive game planning.