OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I did that the first time I tried to smoke something. Got a DigiQ, and one of my favorite purchases. Makes life so much easier

emainvol and VolDad like this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The meat will only absorb so much smoke, so after the first hour or 2 it’s really just about cooking it to the right temp. So theoretically, if you’re having trouble regulating the temp, you could cook on your smoker in the range of your desired temp for a couple hours and then finish in the oven at your actual desired temp.

And by theoretically, I mean I’ve done it before and it was perfect. The only time, actually, that I’ve gotten brisket right.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, yes, yes, yes.

Yes.

emainvol likes this.
  4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Yeah I ended up putting it in the oven. It’s in a cooler resting now

5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Brisket (particularly the point) turned out absolutely killer btw

That was some heroic BBQing

InVolNerable, gcbvol and Poppa T like this.
  6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I bought a new UPLIFT standing desk. It looks great, was reasonably easy to assemble despite how solid and heavy the whole thing is, and just feels like a high quality item.

That said, even though I measured before purchase, I failed to realize how much bigger this is than my old desk. went from 60 x 26.5" to 70 x 30". I'm not complaining as I needed the extra real estate since my old desk felt a little cramped with my monitors and peripherals, but I had to rearrange my office a bit to accommodate.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My wife's job as chair of Toys for Blount County is complete. Packing is done and they will be delivered to families on Sunday. About 2/3 to 3/4 of this was stored is my basement and garage the last 6 to 8 weeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Today I learned that the list of things 3M heavy duty Scotch shipping tape sticks to includes:
    1. Itself
    2. Metal parts of the dispenser
    3. Other plastics
    4. Plastic parts of the dispenser
    5. Scissors
    6. Pocket knives
    7. Skin...

49. Old paper packing tape
    50. Cardboard boxes
    Fortunately, I was alone in the office when my religion was briefly lost.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Colonoscopy tomorrow.

But the fun is tonight.

10. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Peace be with your pucker.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I feel you brother, and hope it’s all clear

I also hope you invested in some wet wipes.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So my son complained Saturday his throat felt funny. Then at night he said he couldn’t breathe. Same thing next 2 nights as not feeling like breathing normal made him worse. Go to walk-in yesterday and Dr says they feel a nodule on his thyroid and ordered stat US and biopsy “to rule out cancer.” This didn’t help. 1 am this morning he was white and shaking so went to ER. They don’t feel a nodule and US doesn’t show one. So I have 2 opposite diagnoses.
    Any experience here with family or kids and anxiety attacks? He’s had the injury, college stuff, ACT Saturday and final exams this week. He said he feels ok during the day. This happens when he’s trying to sleep. He’s a laid back kid and not bothered by much, on the outside. Is this anxiety that gets worse when he feels he can’t breathe? Said his arm felt funny last night and chest, then it felt better but he was fatigued after. It took it out of him. We can’t see his pediatrician until Friday. Waiting and wondering and worrying sucks. I don’t know what to do to help him besides try to talk to him about getting his mind elsewhere, but if it was that easy, anxiety wouldn’t be a thing.
    It’s tough seeing your kid like this. Barely slept myself with everything bad in my head. Any insight is appreciated if you’ve dealt with anxiety before or been around it.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Man. So sorry.

No clue on that front though. Not experienced this.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

What about some bed time nyquil or benadryl just to help him turn off his brain and sleep?

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My wife dealt with some anxiety related issues due to a PTSD diagnosis from the birth of our youngest son. She had a lot of the same symptoms that your son was having in regards to trouble breathing and tightness in her chest. Thought she was having a heart attack the first time it happened. Once she got on some medication that got everything sorted, she's not had any issues.

Hopefully it's all anxiety related. Going through stuff like this with your kid is quite literally hell on Earth.

Ssmiff and justingroves like this.
  16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Time for the old man to sit down before bed and split a gummy with his kid.

VolDad, gcbvol and justingroves like this.
  17. Ssmiff

thought about it..

gcbvol likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's helped my wife's anxiety issues

19. Ssmiff

Only reason I didn’t is sometimes they can cause people to feel funny in their chest and with him already feeling funny I didn’t want to do it. May try it or cbd earlier before any onset and see what happens.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’d recommend seeing a professional who specializes in mental health.