Tennessee History Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by MaconVol, Dec 14, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's probably his biggest achievement, and for reasons beyond his control it didn't even really matter.

2. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Sure sound mad.... Whatever though. I never made a claim to begin with, much less claimed to be a presidential expert, I just don't buy that Jackson was a complete failure. Trying to prove a negative is practically always going to be a losing proposition though so I ****ed up from the get go.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

That was kind of a tongue-in-cheek statement meant to say exactly what you picked up. Love it when someone gets it.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm just wondering what you see as his successes.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

He killed all the injuns Paawlll. Rowl Tahd.

6. Savage Orange

Preventing Sakerlina from seceding was a notable success, although his handling of Georgia was dismal... His handling of the Second Bank was a qualified success, although I suppose it could be argued that it played a part if not outright led to the panic of 1837... As mentioned earlier, he paid off the national debt.

All in all a mixed bag, but when you look at polls listing best/worst Presidents of all time, Jackson consistently scores in the higher percentile regardless of who (conservative, liberal...) is doing the polling. Gotta be a reason for that. Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt (Franklin) seem to always be on top, while Buchanan, Grant, A. Johnson and Warren G Harding always seem to be at the bottom.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, there doesn't need to be a reason for his placement in polls. His enduring popularity is one based on the sword. We love military heroes.

8. Savage Orange

Being a war hero hasn't helped Grant at all... He's a fixture at the bottom... Of course, really, honest to God SUCKING at being a President might exa in that. Ike has only recently started to really be appreciated for his contributions as President.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Grant was a drunk

10. Savage Orange

I would say a large part of Jackson's enduring popularity comes from his personal story... Orphaned at 14, injured in the captivity of the British for refusing to shine boots, his political rise from poverty and of course his military history. Being a President viewed as a "man of the people" or a classic American Dream type of background helps smooth over a bit of his warts. He most certainly did some questionable, if not outright criminal things but that's a case that can also be made against several Presidents that history has truly glorified...

11. Savage Orange

Drunk doesn't even BEGIN to cover it. Like saying Hitler was mean.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's awful what he did, but it was going to happen eventually.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Yes, Andrew Jackson was the greatest POTUS, ever.

We all agree.

14. Tenacious D

Freed up a bunch of land.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm arguing my position. You said my position was bullshit and, suddenly, got defensive and passive aggressive when I responded to your points. I didn't call you stupid, ugly or fat, so relax and argue your position. Or not, whatever, but the indignation is a little silly and ill fitting to the nature of the discussion.

At any rate, Jackson being a terrible president is my opinion as was Tenny's opinion that Jackson is the greatest ever. He doesn't have to be the devil incarnate to be a terrible president, just not good at his job as president, which he wasn't.

16. Unimane

Yes, agreed.

17. Tenacious D

How does this compare to Jefferson's owning slaves?

What about his frequently raping them?

Still a good guy?

18. Tenacious D

Which POTUS were you just touting as Jackson's superior?

What was his record with adhering to the rule of law, particularly from the SCOTUS?

Doesn't matter in that direction, check valve?

19. Unimane

Grant is an underrated president, but greatly hamstrung by some serious scandals in his cabinet. His administration ended with a whimper, though, especially in regards to Reconstruction.

20. Tenacious D

[​IMG]