Terrifyingly Shocking Data

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 5, 2015.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

intentionally provocative language or action should be allowed. I'm all for the provoked whooping that ass, if he/she can. I'm not for killing in any instance, apart from self defense, home / family defense or open warfare.

Provocateur, IMO, is absolutely open to being mauled, not killed, mind you. Free from repercussions of free speech is not the same as free speech.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There was a kid that cried if he struck out on my little league team. He struck out a lot. I told him to quit crying and either hit the ball or go home. I had to run laps.

I've watched 3 of my cousins go through youth league sports and it's horrible.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Agreed 100%

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Lol

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Nice.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

There is also the opportunity to make a change for the better in youth sports. I get your point, and I know I'm only beginning--the kids I'm working with are 5-6. But I've been doing this for 6 seasons now, and it is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I'll be sincerely honest, I have no issue with the 1st Amendment. That being said, there's a right way and wrong way to go about making your opinions known. People are downright knowingly disrespectful these days and it makes me sick. Society hasn't nor will it ever agree 100% on things. That fact you have the right to free speech doesn't mean you have to be an ******* about it. For me, courtesy and respect will get you a hell of a lot further than being a ****. If I ever witnessed someone burning an American flag I would not be able to sit by and watch. I would surely go to jail but I'll willingly pay that price over watching someone disrespect this country.

zero-sum likes this.
  8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

So many are just looking for any comment or action by someone that they feel is offensive to them or their race to promote their agenda and to verify that they or their race is being discriminated against. Those 40% that Tenny D asked about want to dumb down the population to the lowest common denominator. Because they are too damn sorry of a person to want to try to excel in life. It makes them feel inadequate to see someone prove them to be just what they are, the parasites who think everyone should kiss their ass and they have it all without earning it.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I feel this way too, but how can we then say we should have the right to free speech and expression? Do we really want to say free speech is a human right, unless I disagree with it?

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't mind disagreements at all. I'm just asking that people be courteous and respectful about it instead of being purposely insulting/disrespectful.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

we all view disrespect to the country differently, so you're treading a slippery slope. IMO, burning the flag is clearly declaring that the burner wants our country to burn and it's reprehensible, but it's their statement and could mean anything. Frankly, those resorting to burning it are likely too uneducated to understand the message. Most simply want the attention.

I think our current president, his administration and our congress are embarrassing as a whole and I have no problem calling the vast majority of them leeches on Americans. That's probably equally disrespectful, but I don't care what anyone thinks about that opinion of mine.

zero-sum likes this.
  12. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, like Gellar and the AFDI recent Garland, Tx (contest) and NYC (transit) events, it is their right but too, stupid (needlessly disrespectful and incendiary), imo. Cause and effect

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Certainly a cry for attention but uneducated? It may surprise you to know the number of flag (burning, stomping, ... ) desecrators who are not only educated quite a few hold advanced degrees some multiple

Some may find your comments on the current admin disrespectful but they pale by comparison

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's fair. those educated are doing it solely for the attention. I can't think of any legit reason to forcibly make them stop.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Commenting on the current administration as being terrible, embarrassing, etc. is about as traditional as anything in America.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't even count all the false narratives here. I'm all for free speech in all forms. I won't get violent with anyone no matter what they say.

Burning a flag is no different. It is the proper way to dispose of a flag. Would I burn a flag as part of a demonstration? Hell no. But if I see Rocky going to beat on a person doing so, I'm going to intervene because Rocky is the one in the wrong and failing to honor the 1st amendment.

This "educated people" crap is pathetic. So is the old "self centered and coddled" crap. It's all bullshit that people tell themselves to feel like it is "them" who are the problem and put a wall of separation. "The Others" are doing it! People like freedom of speech so long as it is their speech, and then things fall off. Labeling something racist, sexist, communist, whatever isn't infringing anyone's speech. Actions matter. Too many people think free speech means getting your way. None of us get our way all the time.

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

"... soley for the attention"? If only.

"... legit reason to forcibly make them stop" It's their right

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Samuel Johnson

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There are plenty of people that attempt to whine, cry, [itch bay] and complain until they do.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And has anyone's 1st Amendment rights actually been trodden on? I do not see the government actually arresting people. Too many times, I see people cry when their 1st Amendment rights are taken away by the owner of a message board (not here, other boards). Well, you know, it is their board, it is private property.

That said, we can censor ourselves so much that we effectively give up our 1st Amendment rights. And that would be incredibly dangerous.