Terrifyingly Shocking Data

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 5, 2015.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Which is THE reason I'm here now and not there... Here is better. There sucks.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you're going to intervene to help someone avoid the repercussions of their free speech? Actions either matter or they don't. Presumably you'd also defend the guy getting beaten for shouting racial slurs in the middle of the street.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, repercussions don't legally include "be beaten by a mob."

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

of course they do. You've not paid attention to the silliness that is inciting violence?

Those are actual laws in this country that allow people to respond violently to provocative language or actions. The hate crimes silliness is steeped in the same crap.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not going to watch someone be beaten. Deal with it.

6. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That depends on your reading of the 1st Amendment. Can a state institution bar inclusion by an otherwise qualified individual based on speech that some groups find offensive?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Can you give examples of this?

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

then they might watch you be beaten. That makes my dealing with it considerably more manageable than yours.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I assume he's talking about the frats being kicked off campus and kids out of school for being racists.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have a problem with the students being expelled, I do not have an issue with the fraternity being asked (aka kicked out) to leave campus. Hypocritical? Perhaps.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I find it highly disturbing that someone could think being beaten for what they said, and apparently someone beaten for objecting to them being beaten for what they said, seems alright.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm not accustomed to a world where provocative words and actions don't carry a substantial risk of reprisal.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Of course they do, but those reprisals, if violent, are illegal.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Who said they were legal?

15. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Which is why I said I would surely go to jail. We don't all have to agree but don't go out of your way to be disrespectful. If an individual doesn't understand that burning our country's flag (in a derogatory manner) is disrespectful then maybe they do need an ass kicking.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

horsecrap. We have this silly and arbitrary standard about the nature of the offensive action or language.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like how I get conflicting responses directed at me.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I think that instance is on the idividual. The individuals are racists. If thats an issue that was allowed to remain.

I dont think removing the umbrella matters that much.

I dont know.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Not necessarily. If an individual comes into / initiates any form of physical contact with another he /she can counter / defend / retaliate with equal force. Only if found excessive would it be illegal

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Saying hateful things isn't physical contact. The bad part of defending freedom is that you're generally fighting for *******s, because that's who they use as an example of why freedom needs limitations.