The To Hell With This Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, Feb 5, 2014.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

1 year and UT would be in better shape? How?

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Who knows? I'll take my chances.

3. hatvol96

If Tennessee makes the financial commitment it would require to hire Smiles, they'd have no problem finding a big time replacement for the same money.

4. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Raising the program out of the NIT toilet would help with recruiting for the next guy if Skiles left. Having a real live basketball coach come through Knoxville would also help convince fans, players and other coaches that UT is a place that wants to win in basketball instead of just draining the local populace of their minimum wage paychecks. I'd take the chance. One year is enough time for a high level coach to get something started. I don't see anything bad coming from having a well-connected NBA guy coach at your school for a year. I'd also expect that if he left after one year that he enjoyed a certain degree of success or he ****ing hated this place.

5. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

And a guy who can turn a program around with one class is a guy I would want at UT. Show a commitment to winning and many good things will happen. If they hire another bargain bin scrub then the school will get what it deserves more times than not. People aren't coming to play for coach John Doe at a program that hasn't even had NIT success in a while.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Or he got another job offer at the NBA level after a stop gap.

7. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Shit happens. At least they would have tried.

8. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Obviously. I'm just trying to hit the same nail you are.

9. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Pearl already showed you can change the culture here in 1 year and have long term success and he didnt even really bring anyone in his first year except Childress (and maybe Patterson ?). We don't really need a guy to come in and turn the program around for 1 year and leave the next because it's easily done by many guys and has been done here already. But we have already shown even after a guy as successful as Pearl - who raised the value of the job - we still went out and hired a scrub.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Will a good coach be enough or do you need someone that is like Bruce Pearl, a charismatic and outgoing guy? Or will winning alone get people back over there and interested again?

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

winning will do it, eventually

12. hatvol96

How badly did Bob Huggins only being at Kansas State one season hurt that program?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You really trust anyone in the UTAD to make two consecutive decent hires?

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

It's not that I forgot that Huggins went to KSU, I legitimately thought he went straight from UC to WVU (With a year layoff). I don't remember his KSU season for shit. Was Beasley there for that season?

15. hatvol96

Getting it right the first time would make it much easier to replicate.

16. hatvol96

No. They had the best season they had put together in forever and probably had good reason to feel ripped off on Selection Sunday. Beasley and Jacob Pullen were signed in the fall and came in the next season.

17. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Good call, Hat. It seems like you preferred Tyndall to White a couple months ago; what changed?

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

More truth especially the 2 million part

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Hat is a UT sports prophet

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Prophetic