The Travel Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Mar 2, 2014.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Went to Boston while living in Connecticut. Was a great experience as you see so much history there. Alas, I was there for only one day, but go see the harbor and the USS Constitution if you get a chance.

As for me, I will be making my annual pilgrimage to Florida gulf coast in three weeks. Going to Sanibel Island this year, and pick me up some seashells.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Thought about making a trip to Sanibel this year, but decided to do it next year. I'm spending a week in Hilton Head in early June and Carolina Beach in July.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

no, not headed out to LA any time soon

4. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is what I'm talking about. Much appreciated.

6. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

i tend to refer to yelp or urban spoon for feedback on restaurants in areas i never traveled previously. Since they tie restaurant location relative to your phone's gps, it is very convenient and useful.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has been a great snow season. Enjoy, it doesn't get much better. It is getting a bit warm though.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So, R&R Taquiera has some of the best Mexican food I've ever had. The one I went to was in a Shell gas station in Elkridge.

You all are batting 1.000 so far

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Lyls, anything for you brother...

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Baby #2 has canceled our traveling plans this summer

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Anyone been to Marseille?

12. hallowed_hill

Tell me about the SF Bay area. Never been but going for ~4 days in June. Work is in Sunnyvale. Also booked a couple nights downtown SF to start and end the trip. Looking forward to it. Any suggestions?

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Not much to do in Sunnyvale unfortunately. As for San Francisco Alcatraz is actually a fun tourist thing. I'm not a fan of fishermans wharf. One of my favorite things to do is rent a bike in embarcadero, bike across the Golden Gate Bridge and take the ferry back from Marin. Marin is great by itself if you don't want to bike. The ferry is fun both ways. Great restaurants everywhere too if you want some recommendations.

14. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

I'm a fan of couchsurfing if I'm traveling solo and going to be in a place more than 2 or 3 days. I use wikitravel for tips on getting around and Lonely Planet for food/hotel tips

15. hallowed_hill

La Taqueria in the mission now stands as the best tacos I've ever eaten.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It really is great. Used to live about. 5 blocks away. Mission bar down the street is a great dive

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Doing a cruise in October out of Ft. Lauderdale. Stopping in Roatan, Honduras & Cozumel. Any suggestions other than avoiding Sandinistas & the Mexican drug cartels?

18. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

The hookers on town are better than those waiting by the dock.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Thanks, but I think I'll stick with the wife.

You have any info on diving/snorkeling in either place?

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

For the elusive muf f fish maybe.