Wi-Fi Questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hardwiring is always the logical first step.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If that's what you honestly think, then you don't understand how logic works. You don't begin troubleshooting any problem by adding additional variables.

It would be like solving a leaky roof by building a dome over the entire house. Yeah, it will stop the roof from leaking, but it's not the logical first step. The logical first step is to figure out what changed to make the roof go from not leaking to leaking.

Do you buy an entirely new, upgraded engine for your car any time the check engine light comes on? Of course not. You try to figure out what changed to cause the check engine light to come on.

There are probably hundreds of other examples that will outline why adding additional variables is never the first step to troubleshooting a problem. And for my specific example, hardwiring the Xbox does very little, if anything, to help my streaming on either of my TV's.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Seeing Float trying to walk Indy through a tech issue is the only reason I keep opening this thread.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Hard-wiring literally eliminates 95% of the variables.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hardwire the damn thing in, if it works, you know the problem isn't the wi fi or the machine, it's the path it's taking to get there.

InVolNerable likes this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you are wasting your breath. and you people voted for the auburn guy

JudgmentVol likes this.
  7. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

whenever physically possible, it's just pure ole common sense to Ethernet connect a device in lieu of wifi, end of story

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Wires can turn corners. You proabably can’t run through walls, but I doubt your apartment complex is going to get mad if you run cat5e on top of the baseboard.

Just staple with insulted round cable staples every 3 feet, and go under the door jam in the space between the wood and the carpet, and came back up on top of the baseboard, and staple every 3 feet.

Then just take it down when you leave.

9. fl0at_

Probably could just push it under the baseboard and not have to staple at all, depending.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Do you have a link to these insulted staples? I prefer my staples to have low self-esteem.

InVolNerable likes this.
  11. fl0at_

Anything sold at Home Depot will feel sorry for itself.

justingroves likes this.
  12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

BTW, I'm not sure if you guys know the actual pronunciation of wifi, but you say it like this in south Florida. Wee-Fee.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Ate lunch with a strange co-worker a month ago. He was trying to hit on the waitress. Asked her if they had any wiffy? After confusing the girl for 30 seconds he told her he was talking about Wi-Fi. She clearly indicated she didn't have time for that shit. Thanks to him, we had some really terrible service for the rest of the meal.

dknash and kmf600 like this.
  14. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

If you're game is on external hard drive it will download slow from xbox game store.

Also, use fast.com instead of speedtest.net

Fast is kept up by Netflix and is way more accurate than speedtest.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Some of your food probably touched her b-hole.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So it's been about 15 years or so since I bought new internet service, its accoutrements, and whatnot. Can someone help me out with the following?

Would I have any need for a static IP address assuming I am an average consumer who surfs, streams stuff, and might play an online game every once in a while? It's an extra €7 a month.

The best advertised service is billed as 60K kbps using VDSL technology. What kind of modem/Wi-Fi speed should I be looking at if I want to make maximum use of the service. The company has competitive prices on a couple of modem/router combinations, Fritzbox 7590 and 7530. The 7590 is rated at 1.733 (5GHz) and 800 Mbit/s (2.4GHz) and the 7530 at 866 Mbps (5 GHz) and 400 Mbps (2.4 GHz). The information on the 7530 indicates it's rated for up to 300 Mbps internet speed. Is there any reason for me to pay more for the higher end product? It seems that either would exceed the internet service provided.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Indy going full Indy is always fun to read

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

You most likely don't need a static ip, unless you're hosting a public facing website or web app.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

19. fl0at_

I think the first question is what do you plan on doing with said Internet connection?

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Average consumer stuff. I plan on doing nothing beyond surfing the internet, streaming movies, and possibly some online gaming via the Xbox. I had other plans years ago, but the market for nudefatdude.com probably won't keep me in Doritos money.