Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And now I see the hellscape his life could become, absent my stern correction.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't like scallops, either. Other mollusks are fine, but you can keep your scallops and your meatloaf.

Take that ground, put it in a skillet, and make something edible out of it, and give those little buggers of the sea to the cat.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

grilled scallops are heaven

justingroves likes this.
  4. cotton

I like scalloped potatoes.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

those are good too

6. Tenacious D

You’re a monster.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. Tenacious D

What kind of psychopath doesn’t like grilled scallops?

droski likes this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

fyp

droski likes this.
  9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Those who don't like Meatloaf and went to Vandy.

Ssmiff and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

His food takes are bad. But he could, and would, curbstomp IP. So he's still in the plus category.

11. cotton

Meatloaf is the kiNd of thing people who don't know how to cook would do to food

Hey honey, we've got some ground beef, vegetables, and some bread. What should I do with it?

I don't know. Squish it all together in the shape of a football and put it in the oven for an hour. Has to be good, right?

justingroves and cpninja like this.
  12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

A loaf of meat sounds like the quintessential food. Everything you need and nothing you don't, like dumb-dumb vegetables.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Seared meatloaf with mashed potatoes and some red stuff thats like ketchup but isn't. Add brown gravy if you like.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Pretty sure meatloaf was outlawed in the USSR. All I am saying

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Cotton is a commie.

16. CardinalVol

So there's a vote tomorrow night for our football league to collapse into 2 leagues - 8 and 9 and 10 and 11 from 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12. The reason being a couple of the county teams are having trouble at the 11-12 age level to get teams because all the 12 year olds go straight to middle school, whether they should or not. Should be a fun meeting.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Seems like that would be detrimental for the 8 year olds in the short term, and developing players through several years in the long-term.

Unless you guys were open to something oddball, like having a quarter of football with 8 and 9 year olds only.

18. CardinalVol

No no, there would be two leagues

8 and 9 year old league
    10 and 11 year old league

I overall don't like it because of the overall structure and some 12 year olds not being ready to play middle school ball. Lots of kids don't play it either and stop when youth league ages out.

I also have two entirely selfish reasons - 1 is my son will be the 10 year old that has to sit the bench two years in a row and the other one is something I don't want to talk about yet.

19. cotton

This is exactly what happened to our Little League and, to a slightly different extent, Y soccer. In those sports you have middle school and travel teams to deal (I don't know if travel football exists, but it isn't here.) The result is that we are playing 9-12 together in baseball and soccer has an age range that changes every season depending on how they can divide it to make competitive leagues.

I've always thought the leagues should make an effort to coordinate with the school and travel teams, to try to set their schedules so that the others can use them as sort of practice seasons and encourage their kids to play. This has worked to a small degree with the middle schools (who probably don't mind at all the 12 year olds getting reps in somebody elses practices and games,) not so much with the travel teams, who the leagues just seem to battle against. Anyway, good luck.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it is entirely selfish regarding your son, as he probably isn't unique-- it would be every kid his age that would experience this.