COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Updated TN numbers

1512 cases
    7 deaths
    118 hospitalized

2. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

I had to venture to Walmart this morning - the first time in about a month. Tried to go fairly early - 9ish - and here in Greeneville I was stunned at just how many people were just out and about having a casual Saturday. I swear to God there's more people loitering around Greeneville today than New York City. Tons of people with their kids there and just going on about their business just like another normal day. I have a feeling here in Upper Northeast TN we are going to be in for a rude awakening in a few weeks.

Right now people aren't seeing their friends and family sick or dying. I heard someone say well if one or two old people die a little earlier that's just part of it that they can't just stop their lives. I get people have to go to the store and I'm guilty for being there myself. But, I didn't drag my children and I tried to get essential items I needed and wasn't just there to have something to do. When people around here figure out what's going on and it's actually the real deal it'll be too late for a lot of them. Yes, I'm sure most of them will recover but even in this small town if we started losing 10-20 people per day that would be catastrophic in the grand scheme of things. And I'm afraid with the attitudes of the people around here it's definitely going to get much worse here before it gets better.

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Over 19,000 new cases today. Over 500 new deaths.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Didn’t help that China sold them a lot of faulty test either

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I think a lot of people don't realize it isn't just about dying. There is a spectrum of responses to the virus and plenty of young people have experienced extremely harsh reactions requiring extended stays in the ICU with severe breathing issues, nausea, excessive body pains, etc. People are so reactionary, though.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Feels like there's a hard cap on how many people are going to comply with any restrictions in a nation built around individual freedom. If that was meant to be the first line of defense, then good luck.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And, this is still in its infancy, when we’re both attentive and on our best behavior, and while the weather is still largely shit.

It’s not going to get better / more strict in a month and with warmer weather.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm trying to imagine how we are going to normalize what is about to happen.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The healthy ones downplay it and the sick ones die

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

But they’ve done such a great job

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Y'all need to check out Vandy schedule on SECN tomorrow. It'll lift your spirits.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

And tomorrow will be worse. As will each of the 15 thereafter. April is such a bad news month but 2020 takes the cake.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Looked at that schedule a few hours ago. As soon as I saw they were actually going to go through with having a “Vandy day” I knew they would have them beating the brakes off us over the last few years. I guess SEC network doesn’t hate us. Also The highlights they chose are so laughable. I wonder what their viewership will be? Just Mason and a couple of the players’ moms I would guess.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

at least the school shootings have stopped.

15. Tenacious D

When do we see what effect social distancing / quarantining has had, if any, and how do we tell if something worked because something else didn’t happen?

From my dumbass position, it doesn’t seem like in the quarantine / social distancing is doing shit, tbh.

16. Unimane

People have to actually do the social distancing for it to work and we haven't done anything like quarantining. We are also well within the window for people to have contracted the virus from going on Spring Break, Lower Broadway, etc. and then spread it in their community, too.

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Think it takes 10-14 days.

CV takes a really long time to show symptoms.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

not enough have been participating. the net benefit will be hard to detect. it only works if like 80% do it.

Tenacious D likes this.
  19. Tenacious D

It just seems like we’re, what, at least 2 weeks into this quarantine...and the numbers continue to climb, seemingly unabated and worsening.

So, why keep quarantining if it isn’t going to work?

I think there’s going to come a point where people / businesses just say [uck fay] it and move on, in absence of a law prohibiting it. Like, maybe in another week or so.

OneForVol likes this.
  20. Unimane

Uh, we're not in a quarantine.