DIY Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jun 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

We put it down in our back bathroom, stuff is great.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yep, and just on the top face. A little bit of cracking down the sides and some of the lower ones, but nothing too bad.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You could go get some pvc trim board and just screw it down to the top 4x4's. Basically create a nice top that will not rot or splinter ever and will protect the top 4x4 from hopefully getting any worse. It's usually white in color but can be painted if you want it to match the wood more closely.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm having his stimulus check routed to my checking account.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How hard to find a big piece of wood and make this and add a shelf?
    I like this but without a chalkboard. Bout 6 feet wide is all. I will have to try to find a handyman who can make it.

Attached Files:

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Type in wood slabs into the google machine.

Unless you’re wanting some other kind of big wood action on a live edge slab.

Make sure you get it kiln dried or there’s a good chance you’ll have some bugs bore out of it.

justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Go to a saw mill.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Cool, was wondering if just covering it was a valid option, or if it'd just make it worse eventually. Much better than having to rip out any 4x4s.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

NP. That should definitely keep them from getting worse and keep the kids from getting big ass splinters. I would probably get about a 1/2" thick trim so it will be solid. They usually come 8' long which should be nice for your situation and also in various widths so you might not have much cutting at all.

10. Ssmiff

20200423_152117.jpg Called a guy around the corner i used to get firewood from. Evidently his wood business was bigger than i thougth. Barn full of walnut, cherry, orange something he said eas hardest wood around. I just got walnut 8 foot piece and another piece for 2 shelves for $140. 2 inches thick.
    Now i gotta google how to attach to the wall.

kmf600 likes this.
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’d try some of those flamboyant nails with the spirals.

12. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

Or super glue.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Get the Osage orange.

kmf600 and Tenacious D like this.
  14. Ssmiff

It was a little brighter than i wanted but he said it was a bad dude.
    One son is a musician and one is real estate. Their dad had the reputation of a loner antigovernment math guy, but was nice to me when my old lab would end up on his farm. He then got into sawmilling and ended up with some contracts. I havent talked to him in 10+ years. His sons said he "overdid it" and they are trying to sell all the planks he cut. They have a barn full if them. People can pm me if they are looking for a cherry, walnut or osage planks and ill give you the guys number. I dont do this stuff and dont know anything about wood but seeing those fresh planks was awesome.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You can borrow my hammer to put them in.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

https://goodwoodnashville.com/

They can make that for you

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If it's just been air dried, he took you for a little. Unless it came from a high end walnut log.

Sawdust gets in your veins, if you're not careful and you get the bug.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They do good work.

herringbone pattern with rustic wood is basically stealing from yuppies.

justingroves likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Walnut on that site is quite a bit more. I dont know what makes it more expensive but i believe mine was air dried. We are gonna put a sealant on it and see how it works out.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A hard sealant could keep the wood from properly acclimating to your space, both when introduced and later, with seasonal changes.

I’d triple-check the moisture content immediately before sealing it, and if all good, be sure to seal all of it - even the ends.