COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Eating out linked to throat cancer FWIW

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Whoever wanted some people to live in fear, made it happen

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think folks can travel and eat out. We just need to take precautions. Follow recommendations. Minimize risks. Airlines and restaurants likewise should be doing things to make it easy for patrons to do so.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The bigger challenge for me is I'd like to go see my parents. But my mother is on oxygen at night, bad asthma, has bronchitis multiple times a year, had pneumonia in February (antibody test for CV will need to come, but xrays didn't look like CV), etc. So, won't fly. Will need to drive. And I want to be in isolation for 14 days before I go - including no contact with my family if they're not in quarantine. Which is difficult. I'm not going to give her CV if she hasn't already had it - so might have to check that for a while.

And, that plays out in other ways. I don't want to be a carrier that gets someone else killed. I'm not going to let that freak me out - but it's there.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounds like you’ve been scared shitless by the media.

A-Smith likes this.
  6. TennTradition

Definitely sort of something like that, or not like that, not sure.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You just keep beating the shit out of arguments I've never made:

1. I have never said I know what the final numbers will be, or that the numbers they put forth in their conclusions won't line up with reality at some point.

2. I. have. never. once. said. that. conclusions. don't. matter. Never. Never ever ever.

You asked "What are they wrong about?" I told you that the methodology for how they reached their conclusions make no sense (aka, it's wrong). It is unwise, in any situation, to put faith in conclusions, when the methodology for reaching those conclusions is flawed. In this situation, it is also dangerous, as we are talking about a pandemic. Don't act like my opinion has been in doubt at any point throughout this entire conversation.

What if I found you a doctor who would give you the same conclusions and then tell you his methodology for reaching those conclusions was to multiple the number of times the Spaghetti Monster [uck fay]ed Mrs. Claus behind Santa's back, then divide that number by the number of UT fans who publicly supported Butch Jones?

By your approach, none of that stuff would matter. All that matters is the conclusion. It's a stupid and dangerous way of sifting through the vast amount of COVID-19 data and trying to figure out what is accurate and what isn't. Methodology HAS to be considered, regardless of whether the conclusions fit your narrative or not.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Smiff: The world is round
    Professor: Please show your work
    Smiff: Well there was enough room for Jack on that door, mountain dew is nothing more than Appalachian piss, factor into that the Simpsons is the longest running US sitcom, and [uck fay] that bit Carole Baskin
    The 8th: WTF?

Indy and Ssmiff like this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

[​IMG]

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

nah. It was a one sentence question. "What are they wrong about?" I posed it more of a philosophical question and to see who thinks along their lines as far as numbers and rates, severity of the virus, etc, or closer to media induced panic side. I think some here doubt the virus severity but won't say anything due to chance of ridicule, yet we have other vowing not to go sit down and eat a sammich or have a beer at a restaurant. And i'm the loony one.
    Whether the people doing the study are full of shit according to some, brilliant to others, biased or paid or whatever is another topic.

12. TennTradition

Study? They didn't do a study. I do more research behind my posts here everyday.

Indy likes this.
  13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

There's a reason we're more inclined to believe the NY numbers. It was a random sampling, thus giving us greater confidence in the conclusion. The California study was based largely on studying people who already had reason to believe they might already have the virus and then tried to extrapolate that onto the entire population. Everyone on this board would rather it be that 100+million already the virus, but there's been no credible study to back up a claim its that wide spread. At the same time, the NY numbers were encouraging because it gave us real reason to believe actual case counts are in the range of 10x greater than confirmed cases. I'd much rather it be 100x or 1000x higher, but me wishing it doesn't change the fact that nothing has come out so far to make me believe that is the case.

Ssmiff likes this.
  14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

So the executive order to cease all elective procedures ends right about this second. Meaning tomorrow morning anyone and everyone that can probably has a boatload if patients scheduled. But.

Governor Lee tonight issued a new executive order requiring dentists to wait another week. So you can add dentists to the list of people that hate him, I’d imagine.

IP likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

makes no logical sense

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

On dentists? More intimate and more likely to use drills and other tools that create airborne droplets on a regular basis would be my thinking.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

but next week this isn't true?

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

To be fair, he's an Auburn grad so he's probably pretty confused about the whole dentistry thing.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but now they have to wait a week while everyone else is out there spreading things around. Also, why the hell do you wait until several hours after the close of business on the day before the reopen to announce that?

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, a week's difference is silly. You can minimize risk in dental clinics. The CDC has released guidance that looks pretty good. I had to review it a few days ago. I just wonder how many dentists are set up to follow this guidance or if it's being required or recommended. I've not followed the reopening plan that closely.