COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Unless they were meat shopping in Wuhan, China in November/December, that is.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

The CDC tracks influenza-like-illnesses and when you look at it, the data simply doesn’t support that CV was here in large numbers in January. Or even February.

A-Smith likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont understand how people can state it as 100% when articles mention cv originating back in November. If it originated in november, it could have easily been in the US in november, imo. You guaranteeing me 1 person from china of the no telling how many people who flew back and forth around the world
    during november couldnt have had it?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Of course it is possible. But the odds that 1/4 of his FB friends had i back in November is near zero. That many could not have been exposed that quickly and gotten symptoms that fast, as we understand the disease. I was sick back in November and December, but I am 99.99999999% sure it was not COVID-19.

5. Ssmiff

yeah I know that's bullshit. Me and a few buddies have had it twice and don't care for people fake cv'ing it

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would seem to me the death rates would show enough of a noticeable blip if it was widespread by then too.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah that’s highly likely. Exponential growth. Slow at first.

TennTradition likes this.
  8. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

9. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

We actually don't really know but I think this could have some merit
    To me it seems possible that people could have coughed their asses off, had it and never got counted

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can tell you that there is no evidence. That's what was asked: if there was any evidence supporting the claim. An opinion isn't evidence. A lack of guarantee is definitely not evidence.

Ssmiff likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

If so, why did cases drop to near zero by January, then grow exponentially through April? Why was New York City having so few cases/problems until early March, if East Tennessee was being ravaged in November? It really stretches the definition of "possible," because it seems, uh, not possible.

12. Ssmiff

Weve been told zero chance.

13. Ssmiff

Death rate count for US didnt exist. Nobody knew about it. People could have died and been classified as pneumonia or whatever. Nobody was counting. The nursing home is what brought the attention. It had to exist well before then. Imo

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

False.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

then there should be an elevated number of deaths compared to other years, right? there is not. there is now.

16. Ssmiff

Kpt, recruiting guru..

17. TennTradition

This is exactly right. If enough people had it that 1/4 people in TN had it all the way back then - then you would see it in death rates. You would see it in influenza-like-illness rates. It is jumping off the freaking chart now for both of those. That didn't happen.

I've taken the approach of - I can't tell you that a person in the US didn't have this in December. We know some did in January. We know more in February. But, New York City is just at 22% population with antibodies. I cannot put the data together to make a case that says enough people had it in February in TN for even 1% of the population to have had it then - let alone November/December!

And the situation with antibody tests is going to complicate this argument. There are a bunch of antibody tests floating around with 15% false positive rates. So suddenly 15% of the people who take those are going to be convinced that random virus they got in December was CV.

IP likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

So you're saying theres a chancsth

19. TennTradition

Acknowledging the possibility that you were just posting that to quote the classic line....I'll now answer

I've tried to avoid saying 0%. But there is no evidence of established community spread in the US before January - and extremely limited indications of it even in January.

20. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I appreciate the effort that went into formatting this.

SetVol13 and Ssmiff like this.