The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here’s a good thought experiment, operating on the knowledge that you are authorized to use deadly force in the act of preventing grave bodily harm to someone else (simply explained as this: a third party is justified to shoot a person if the victim of their violence would be similarly authorized, were they armed and able to do so, instead):

If an armed third party had walked up on that scene, from them questioning the guy, pulling over, etc. - would they have been justified in pulling their weapon and killing the two white dudes carrying guns?

Would you convict that third party person?

What if the same armed third party shot and killed the black guy?

2. cpninja

cpninja Member

I'm saying, go find a cop walking around on the street, roll up in your truck(or car, or moped, or whatever) with your gun drawn and jump out and immediately start shouting that you want to ask them some questions while waving your gun around and see how they respond. I don't care about the legality of it, I doubt it winds up going well for anyone involved

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

That one could not realize kind of supports his point about the difference in this situation. No one could not realize with these two.

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. Tenacious D

Fair.

5. Tenacious D

Fair.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

If I can make a point, not saying I agree with what these guys did, but it's more of a point of edited, or maybe only knowing part of the truth, but the initial post was, this guy was just out jogging. Was he actually? This is, in my opinion, why its dangerous to come out and say something is this or that, based only on what a social media post says.

And apparently, in Georgia, if you witness a crime, you are within your rights to make a citizen's arrest. You are within your rights to open carry as well.

This is [uck fay]ed up, but as I read all the "facts" these guys are going to get off.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

tl;dr: Georgia sucks.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ive seen nothing to suggest these guys witnessed the deceased commit a crime.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Yeah, I only see bits and pieces of this, I don't follow it on purpose, but I thought I read they were on the phone with 911 then chased him.

10. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I don't think Georgia sucks. People are killed, wrongfully in every state.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Didn't they say he looks like the guy they saw on video or something similar? I do know "'citizen's arrest" laws are very specific and limited. You can't just go up to people and detain them without fitting some very fine parameters and I imagine two guys brandishing rifles have an even finer line.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, but Georgia sucks.

justingroves and Tenacious D like this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The one guy kind of looks like Kirby Smart. Someone should "arrest" him.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    VolDad and Unimane like this.
  14. Tenacious D

This is a joke.

We neither incite nor condone violence.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2020
  15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Feel free to post these very specific laws. The Georgia ones linked and posted here multiple times are not that.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

No

17. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Not to hijack this hypothetical, and this may have been covered earlier in the thread, but if Ahmaud has a gun in this situation, does he have the legal right to stand his ground and shoot the two guys who pullover and approach him with guns?

Arguing that Ahmaud doesn't have a right to self-defense in this scenario certainly "feels" wrong on its face, but I'm not going to pretend to know it for a fact.

Volst53 likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

I think that’s entirely fair to ask.

Again, I think it’s going to come down to whether or not it can be proven that they were threatening him.

Your confronting me while holding a gun isn’t grounds for me to shoot you. Your pointing that gun at me is.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Edited for Teny's comfort.

Tenacious D likes this.
  20. Tenacious D

Noticed & fair.