Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he both said that and that he knew for certain it was a noose. try figuring that one out. i'm assuming he got sent a picture?

2. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Where are you seeing him doubling down? Just read a few articles with quotes and seems like he's just quoting NASCAR's statement, but maybe I'm missing the thing to get mad about.

3. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Did read a detail that the crew member walked up and down the garages to see if any other ropes were "fashioned like a noose", and that was the only one he saw.

If that part's true, it makes the decision to report and investigate it seem a little more reasonable.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/24/us/bubba-wallace-response-fbi-hate-crime-investigation/index.html

There’s a video of an interview that took place after the FBI determined no hate crime had been committed. He just keeps saying over and over again that it’s a noose.

Think about any other situation like this for anyone else. If you thought you were the victim of a hate crime and were being targeted or threatened, wouldn’t you be relieved once you found out it wasn’t true? No relief for Bubba. He’s just gonna repeat over and over again that it’s a noose.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The folks on my facebooks feed shared at least a few seemingly reputable outlets with a headline that said something like that. I didn't read the articles, so I can't give an opinion on how sensationalized the headlines were.

6. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

If the N-word were spray painted on the wall of his garage, it would be a relief to find out it didn't happen this weekend and he wasn't targeted. But then you still have to come to terms with the N-word being there in the first place.

We don't have certainty that the "noose-type" knot was anything more than an easier way to pull down the garage door. But it sounds like it was rare occurrence that was worth investigating. I think that's the point he's trying to get across. FBI determined the timing, not the intent of the knot. At the end of the day, it something that looked like a noose where you *allegedly* would never see that.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're missing the point. You keep repeating that this was worth investigating, and no one is disagreeing with that. Everyone was perfectly fine with this whole situation being investigated from the beginning.

But once it is investigated, and it is determined that the rope has been tied like that since last year, well before Bubba Wallace was there, and the FBI determines there was no hate crime committed, that's when the relief sets in. Any NORMAL person reacts to that by saying "Well, that's good. I'm glad this wasn't a racist event because racist events are bad."

And that's all Bubba Wallace needed to do. He just had state his relief that there was no hate crime against him and his appreciation for NASCAR standing behind him and having his back through the entire situation. Instead, he doubled down, stating that the rope was definitely a noose, and making it out to sound as if he is still a victim. Because he WANTS to be the victim. At this point, people PREFER the racist outcome to the non racist outcome because it helps to prove their narrative - and that's bull shit.

Also, people are suggesting that this isn't the only rope fashioned this way in garages:

https://nypost.com/2020/06/24/nascar-videos-show-multiple-nooses-before-bubba-wallace-incident/

8. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

In the context of the interview, he's arguing against the assertion that it's a common garage pull in NASCAR. Once again, FBI determined the timing of the noose, not the intent. I'm not sure how you extrapolate "he wants to be the victim" from that interview. If he's lying about it not being a common occurrence in garages, sure he's asking for it. If some random NASCAR team member enjoys making his rope pull look like a noose, Bubba probably has a right to be pissed about that.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks like a bimini knot to me that a lot of fishermen use.

I’d say it’s not that common because most people don’t understand knots

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Welp...I have to admit, this is a very noose-like looking rope. I can see how someone would have thought there was racist intent.

[​IMG]

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It does look noosey.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Definitely not an easy-peasy bowline knot that I would expect, and if he had never been in that particular bay before, it would be a bit scary.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Guys, I think the overreaction to the overreaction might have been an overreaction.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I guess my question would be timeline. If this was there since October, how long were people in the garage area before anyone noticed and reported it?

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Guess they shoulda gone with the sneaker laces double knot. Much more stable

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Havent heard anything on that.

I found it interesting that he didn't find out about it from whoever originally discovered it but rather from the president of NASCAR.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

18. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m not clicking a link from The American Sun so you’re going to have to assume I care and then summarize.