COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Parents died from COVID? That's probably a genetics related, with parents and son.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yes he was caregiver, they got sick, then he got sick and they died while he was in icu. Has a 19 yr old daughter. Supposedly healthy police officer

3. fl0at_

IP likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

you would have to check with the people who though herd immunity was imminent Since April. the prevailing medical opinion is that it will require mass vaccination to achieve.

5. Ssmiff

Kids here going back to school monday. Good for them and good for me not providing lunches for awhile.
    With cases and hospitals at peak, im surprised, but the right decision imo

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

a new record in cases today, 210,000. if the death rate is 1.7%, that is 3,570 deaths spread out over the coming weeks. it was also a new record in deaths today. at the rate december is going, easily more Americans will die of covid-19 this december than Americans died in the entire Vietnam war.

I feel like I sound like an alarmist, but it is only because of what we keep adjusting to be used to.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

more us deaths in the last 36 hours or so than in the 2003-2011 Iraqi war.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I hear you. It can sound alarmist but we’ve become a bit numb. We are approaching spring peak craziness and it’s like lol business as usual. I think that’s partly because we have an idea of what control looks like. We saw the spring peak managed. We have a better understanding of IFR amd better treatments. But the loss is huge. And I would have to imagine most people are feeling it in the two degrees of separation. We have multiple friends losing parents and grand parents right now. I’m personally pretty worried about my mother. My sister is just way too flippant about protecting herself and is around my mother every few days.

9. fl0at_

Are we really seeing better treatment, though?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think more people don't consider it a death sentence and stay at home without ER visits.

11. Ssmiff

Death rate is 1.7%? News to me

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wife just learned she's going to be on one of the teams of 8 that will be giving the covid vaccine out starting on the 15th to nursing and assisted living homes.

13. Ssmiff

she going to get it herself?

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hope she stays safe but hopefully it's the beginning of getting this shit behind us

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hopefully it will help in the nursing homes and those at most risk.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Will I go to hell if I ask why we are giving vaccines to people in nursing homes in the first batch?

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, they're the ones dying in bulk from it

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No, but you will for touching yourself.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Should I be canceling travel plans home (Tennessee & Indiana) for the Christmas holiday? Already skipped Thanksgiving, but that's not all that out of the ordinary.

Trying to have a decision made by Monday.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

If there are 1.51 million deaths globally, and 65.4 million confirmed cases globally, that would be a death rate of 2.3%. In the US, there are 14.2 million cases and 276,000 deaths, which is 1.9%. That number is perhaps conservative since cases have been growing rapidly and there will be more deaths later for that number of cases. So 1.7% is a conservative number plucked directly from observations so far. It is higher than I thought, too, and does include everything from February to now so you would expect that at this moment in time the rate is less than whatever it was in April/May, but also there was a lot of cases that were probably going undetected then too. So this is just direct raw numbers.