Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think it's pretty stupid. our interns spend their time copying documents, filing, and putting together premade presentations and reports. it's got to be boring as shit and doesn't help them learn anything or get a job at the firm later. you'd think this would piss off our rich clients more than make them happy.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Bill O'Rielly will have it on his show tonight. It will be settled.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Nah, I only argue things I feel are in my expertize or experience. It's a pretty limited scope of what I argue on this board with any sort of antagonism. I just argue those things fairly passionately/aggressively.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ha. I agree 100%. I got tasked with mentoring one of these interns last summer. Finally me and kid had to have a come to Jesus meeting.

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Ah, the teet of racism will never grow cold.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

So, are the majority of blacks poorer than the majority of whites because.....? Law, please fill in that blank for me.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That was conceded at the beginning of the discussion, and how that is remotely relevant to my position, which is: a poor black person is in a better situation to succeed today than a poor white person, I have no idea.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, your position is that white privilege doesn't exist. At least, that is what you have been arguing for the last several pages. In an attempt to avoid just being hit with the same logical fallacies you and others have been tossing out and then yucking it up over, I'm trying to build this from the beginning.

So your answer for the CAUSALITY for the above "conceded" fact is...?

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

White people don't have as many children out of wedlock and living in single family homes, but whites are catching up.

If you look at poor rural areas, they would mirror inner city numbers though.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

So black people have more children out of wedlock. Okay. Why?

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Poor personal choices is the root of the issue, but a lack of family support drives the machine

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

But that just leads us back to your original causality. Poor personal choices/lack of family support directly connects with the number of children out of wedlock, in that they are two ways of saying the exact same thing.

I found this article in which several black single men were anonymously asked about their singleness:

Editorials & Opinion | Why Do Black Men Have An Aversion To Marriage? | Seattle Times Newspaper

Interesting stuff. I see some repeating themes in their comments that sound an awful lot like the sort of things Unimane was talking about.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But is that some unique black thing or just a reflection that a child brought up in a single family home is more likely to be a single parent their self, so you get into a vicious cycle. This isn't limited to the black community, but just a cross section of Soceity

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

There's no logical fallacy to a kid from Appalachia not having "white privilege." That's reality. That's been my point all along; it may very well exist in some areas, which I said was most likely middle class small business hirings was one example. So, no, I believe I know what my position is better than you, and if you'd read the thread, you'd already know what the causality for the conceded fact is. You're not ever going to convince me that some kid that lives in a trailer park in Appalachia is "privileged" because of the color of his skin.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

That article is also almost 20 years old.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pointing out one group of poor white people without many prospects does not wave away the fact you already conceded: Most black people are poorer than most white people. You've also already agreed with others that wealth is a major factor in opportunity and future success. So in effect, you've already agreed that black people have less opportunity on average than white people. Injecting a select group of whites as evidence against what you have already acknowledged is a non sequitur.

I'm telling you the majority of white people don't live in Appalachia. I hope you can take my word on it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thought it was interesting and very relevant. Sorry if you feel it isn't.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okay. Now we are getting back to where we started again. Why are black people typically poorer than white people?

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Sure it follows, IP. If you've got a set of white people who are poor, they don't have white privilege. Period. They're most likely worse off than similarly situated blacks. Just because blacks, on average, have less money than white people doesn't mean that there is a blanket white privilege across the board because there isn't. While blacks may be on average more poor than whites, blacks also have an easier means of gaining education to get out of poverty than similarly situated white people. So, yes, it absolutely follows when you're claiming there is a "white privilege" that there are white folks who don't have such a privilege.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It probably was in 1993.