COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I haven’t read a lot of it yet, but I did catch where he was personally responding to a bunch of emails from the public early on trying to reassure them or give them personalized advice. Pretty evil shit

IP likes this.
  2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Who has the time to read through some science dork's emails?

emainvol likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think they are still trying to decide what it is they will harp on. Because there isn't anything new. He's just a man, not a god. Not sure what more was expected of him.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

idk but he doesn’t look like a deposed Nigerian prince to me

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So what are we to make of the Delta variant? Worth more that passing concern or just media trying to create a story?

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Natural progression (generally speaking, of course) of human viruses is that over time, they become more contagious but less lethal. So while this becomes more contagious, and more people are vaccinated, it should become less lethal.

Where the worry should be is with kids. But, until such time as we start seeing kids infections and hospitalizations increase (by which time it is then too late to worry), nobody seems to care.

7. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It looks to be much more transmissible than the previous strains that caused the biggest spikes here and the Alpha variant that caused a big spike in the UK. The vaccines appear to still work against it, however they also appear to produce significantly fewer antibodies. Studies are also suggesting that people who have only received one dose are at a much higher risk than they were with the Alpha variant and the OG virus.

It’s definitely worth monitoring as it appears, at least preliminarily, that boosters are going to be necessary, particularly for higher risk groups.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is a major concern for people who are vulnerable but not vaccinated.

CardinalVol and emainvol like this.
  9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’ve read summaries of the Lancet study but didn’t see mention anywhere of the risk of reinfection for those who have had it but are not vaccinated. Has anyone seen any info there?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not there. That seems to be an area of uncertainty. It has happened, but not often.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This sure looks like a familiar discussion:

emainvol likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

My county is reporting a negative number of new cases. More false positives determined than new cases, I guess?

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

During thr lanedmic there were several times we had negative cases because previous cases had been discovered as double reported. The best they could do was just negate them when they figured that out. Otherwise they'd be changing past data and people would lose their shit. If there were more double counts than new cases, the number would be negative for the day.

IP likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

I'm 2 weeks out and have not turned into Magneto yet and quite frankly, am disappointed.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Classic. Wonder what they think the causal mechanism would be for that? Or if they can explain how regular magnets work?

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I don't think most keys are made of steel or iron, but brass.

20. CardinalVol

Apparently this woman is a real life doctor.