COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

So... not accepting lies from people who are in a position to dictate how you live your daily life is a “shit argument”? Ok... if I “re-evaluate” anything it’ll be conversing with simps like you.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

What was the face masks lie?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Then you are consistently wrong.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

When could you not leave the country, because of the US? That never happened.

Sounds like your employer should be getting your wrath, not Fauci. No one ever recommended unpaid leave/vacation because that leads to people breaking quarantine/isolation.

You couldn't do those things because there was a dangerous contagious illness that killed over 500,000 Americans. Not because of Fauci. Honestly, what planet are you living on where you feel a man was personally responsible for COVID-19? Would you rather we just mindlessly kill off 80% of people over 70?

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

For a few weeks in the beginning Faucci downplayed the effectiveness of masks in the hope of keeping people from hording them and exacerbating the already growing shortage. He admitted shortly after that it was intentional for that stated purpose. So it's an admitted fact that he downplayed their effectiveness and didn't recommend them at the beginning to help medical people get more PPE.

6. fl0at_

And people think this had an impact on the pandemic, or their lives... how?

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

It might have been the right move to deemphasize masks, but there was an opportunity cost. Although I tend to believe anti-maskers would have just moved down the list to the next thing, so maybe it didn't make a difference. So I guess we're s'ing his d because he didn't objectively make things worse? Though that is a 99-th percentile outcome for a governmental position, so maybe we should.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

1) International flights never stopped from the US. Some countries wouldn't accept you if you got there probably on Faucci's direct orders, but we kept flying
    2) Your employer violating federal law by not paying you to quarantine is clearly Faucci's fault - I'll give you that one
    3) I now see that your state and local governments shutting down large gatherings and reducing allowed business capacities was actually Fauci in disguise. I guess he forgot about South Dakota.

9. fl0at_

I mean... there were some people who could have made things objectively worse, so, yea, maybe. Maybe being a nationally respected voice during a global crisis and only coming out just a hair away from mostly liked is a high bar?

10. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I feel like it's kind of a gimme when you're continually juxtaposed with Trump

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Giving medical professionals (people at higher risk) a slightly better chance of getting a mask than someone sitting at home is the right call, by any measure. I think the man simply did his job, and largely did it well. He's not a hero to me nor the devil.

SetVol13, emainvol and IP like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

He did his job all while being undermined by large numbers of the public and also his boss. It is extremely common for health professionals to be blamed for outbreaks/epidemics/pandemics, and be totally ignored for preventing any. Common, and dumb. Fauci was also raked over the coals in the early days of HIV too, when he was similarly being handcuffed by Reagan and even some segments of the gay community who thought measures to shut down establishments frequented by the gay community were being done for discriminatory reasons. And remember when Obama was the worst guy ever (I could even bump the thread) because he didn't do MORE to keep Ebola out of the US? People want villains, and microbes are too small for twirly mustaches.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a witch hunt.

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ll give you that most of March and April were were pretty closed in and sheltered, but I’m sure if we knew then what we know now, things would be different.

Otherwise, I don’t recall being out a single time where we were the only people in the bar, restaurant, patio, grocery store, Target, etc. so not sure how that jives with “the majority of the rest of us”. Maybe those of us who were out were just lucky enough to have escaped our kidnappers?

15. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Does he actually say he said that because they wanted them for medical use?

I thought he claimed that he was saying everyone doesn’t need to wear masks because masks aren’t very effective at keeping healthy people from getting sick. But once they saw how important asymptomatic spread was, it changed his/their guidance.

I had my doubts about that motivation but I thought that was what was said.

IP likes this.
  16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I thought the reason he evolved on masks was it became evident it was spread through aerosols and not merely droplets, which masks were not as effective against spreading as they are against aerosols transmission.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t think I’ve heard him say that. I know that I’ve heard him say asymptomatic spread changes the game. Healthy people then needed to wear masks.

And wouldn’t masks be most effective against preventing droplets?

IP likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember it as what TT describes, but I also know that more broadly we were being asked not to buy masks because they were needed by medical care providers. And I think the two things got conflated.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fauci's biggest screw up was this picture

IMG_20200724_161018.jpg

You tell people to social distance and wear masks but do this at a public event, that's just a bad image that can be used against you

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So what was in the thousand plus fauci emails? Seems like he was a bit of a hypocrite, but that's from the general internet