COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Communism

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Authoritarianism, more like. There would be no need for secrecy on this if they were truly all about the people. This doesn't serve the Chinese people, to avoid transparency.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

So, Communism

HCKevinSteele and justingroves like this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

well yeah but you have to sell it and church it up till they get the power

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Daily podcast today was about the relationship between Apple and China. Makes me wanna not buy another iPhone.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A lot of American companies, looking for eternal growth, have gotten in bed with China. Making 20 billion isn't enough, they have to make 30 billion, and kowtow to China's demands.

China is able to quasi-govern the USA through these means.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

China controls access to labor, and while that is a profit argument, in some cases it could be the difference between profitable and not profitable.

When it comes to technology, there is a "make the world a better place" narrative that squeaks in that says we can deal with China today, because, tomorrow, the world will be better, and we won't need China. So it is seen as a means to an end.

The only part of that equation that isn't handled... is... what if we always need China.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The other argument Apple apparently makes is that you have a better chance of changing China if you're in China than if you're on the "sidelines." It all sounds like BS to me.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

"a better chance of changing" is passive language. If if Apple isn't working to change China, they have zero chance. They're presenting a hypothetical argument to respond to a real criticism.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It's one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan or giving a ton of credit to all these global companies coming out with rainbow logos and messages of "support" during Pride month. Are they doing the same in China? The Middle East?

A company either has certain values or it doesn't. You don't get to pick the values you want some places and not pick those same values in other places. At that point, it's clearly just lip service and your only true value is making the most money possible.

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Or, in other words, they're full of shit.

The podcast was a good listen. I was not aware that Chinese law essentially forced Apple to give the government access to the data of its people by making it store the data, as well as the encryption keys in China. Definitely gives a different perspective on the back and forth going on between Apple and Facebook right now. Apple seems to enjoy talking out of both sides of its mouth.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

They are not.

[​IMG]

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

As does facebook, on other matters. Big tech are all mercs with no real values other than growth.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. What sort of "ally" only stands up for you in the places that are, for the most part, accepting of you?

I do give a slight pass to some companies who provide goods that offer significant health/life improvements, though. If removing your product from a specific country would negatively impact the people of that country to a significant degree, then I'm at least a little more okay with you bending to the will of that country's government. Medical equipment/tests, for example. But I'm also not naive enough to believe that those types of companies aren't motivated by the $$$ to the same degree as companies like Bethesda.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The way China turned the screws on Elon Musk was a pretty big [uck fay] you too

17. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

It’s absurd. My company is probably no different than other large multinational companies or its competitors but it’s nauseating. A recent prompt on a training encouraged people to consider the practices of our clients and if they could effect our reputation if they should be a client. Cool cool. Y’all ready to drop a not insignificant number of our biggest clients for failing to adhere to these standards? No? Color me shocked.

18. fl0at_

That's a cynical view. They do have a better chance of changing China from within. They might be failing, but they do have a better chance within than from without.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

china is doing a good job of changing them

Indy likes this.
  20. fl0at_

How so?