2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'm saying it's OK to have varying opinions. One side thinks the other is flawed, which is why they differ. I'm not trying to convince you that you are wrong. You aren't going to change your mind either. Who cares.
    My "argument" is there are better players than her, not on the Olympic team. You already agreed. My opinion regarding 100s of players is probably pushing it, but I bet if we scoured the fields in CA, TX, Vegas, ohio, NY, PA, Maryland, GA and Florida we would find plenty

2. Ssmiff

I take it you disagree. Good. I wouldn't worry about it so much, or you can post another 10 times about it. Up to you.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Keep talking out of your ass and I or somebody else will keep posting about it. Or don’t. Up to you.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah he did so much it’s hard to even remember his career got derailed a bit

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yes, I know what you are saying. It's the point of the argument where you switch gears and try to pedantically explain arguing to people. Yet, you fail to realize all opinions aren't equally valid, not simply by having one. And, you are trying to convince me I'm wrong, which is why it's an argument. You are stating something completely opposite to my opinion, which means you are expressing something which renders my opinion wrong, in your view.

The problem here, for you, is there is a mountain of obvious details which favor a different position. Your argument is reduced to "well, if we scoured the fields of these states, we'd find plenty". Ok, when? When has this ever happened? Who? When has some random person been found who runs circles around players at a certain level? Your position isn't based upon anything much more than "I just think so" opposing a position pretty heavily based upon fact, but you couch it in these slippery redirections to more silly positions when challenged.

SetVol13, InVolNerable and The Dooz like this.
  6. Ssmiff

You aren't the judge of which opinion is valid and which isn't, especially when you always consider your valid and the opposing one not.
    And I'm not trying to convince you that you are wrong. Why would I try the impossible. You've been telling me I'm wrong for 2 pages, even though you admitted to my point there are better players. There is no way to tell who is right or who is wrong unless we lined them up and watched it happen. If a 15 yr old boy can do it, as already happened in the only time she played against them,, a 19 yr old woman can too.

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

That actually made me roll my eyes. She was in no way the best female player of the year and it was apparent the voters do not watch women’s soccer.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, can’t deny it’s still a new award. But the names in the top 3 in each of the first couple of years are no slouches.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So the genesis of this take comes from a scrimmage the USWNT had with an u16 MLS academy team? I don’t know if I missed that earlier or what but holy shit.

We are talking about a practice?!?!

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Again, you throw out a mish mash of stuff to muddy the waters of a bad argument. Ok, so here:

1 - All opinions aren't equal, which isn't necessarily in reference to mine. Opinions with facts behind them are more valid than those without them.
    2 - You are trying to convince me, which the entire point of a conversation. You do this weird thing often where you pretend you are merely talking out loud to no one in particular instead of recognizing the actual discussion you're having.
    3 - I said the better players would be among the elite athletes she competes against regularly, not the random playground star in Ohio you state is out there in droves.
    4 - Another thing you do is bring up bad old arguments as if they weren't already addressed. The 15 year old boys team, supposedly, beat the best team in the world. They didn't beat Rapinoe, personally, though, just her team. Which girls would have beat those guys? If the two time world champs went down, where are these other women who could do it, these 19 year old stars wallowing in the dirt fields of Texas?

The point, one more time, is do you have something to back up your opinion? Do you have something which demonstrates your idea there are 100s of unknown players out there better than Rapinoe is true? Conversely, I can pretty easily provide some basis in fact to support my opinion.

So, the idea of validity is support for the opinion gives it more weight than an opinion without it. It isn't specific to anything either of us have said, but, rather, supporting information.

The Dooz likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Wrong. Thats just an example. The genesis comes from my opinion that there are better players. An opinion shared by many others. I realize you like to think you are as woke as her and feel a bond, so you may be too emotionally involved to form a decent opinion.

12. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

This makes it seem like you’re the one whose political views are affecting your opinion here.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve provided many facts and statistics that back up why she’s been a great player “right now and in the last couple of years” as well as over the course of her career. You’ve yet to refute a single one.

You have, however, provided broad generalizations like “there are better players” without mentioning a single one, talking about a scrimmage like it actually means anything and claiming others agreed with you they actually don’t.

Seems like you’re the one who is too emotional and your own political beliefs are keeping you from having a decent opinion, which you like to project onto others when you get embarrassed by the board. Again.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  14. Ssmiff

Nah. I dont like dooz and he doesn't like me. I dont care who she votes for. Dont care who anybody votes for. Just don't like any fake wokes.

15. Ssmiff

I'm not embarrassed to have the opinion there are better players, and do not get embarrassed when you disagree. Ever. Especially when it comes to anything regarding sports, Mr weeble wobble

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You can even leave me out of it and you’ve been embarrassed on this subject by multiple people over the last two days. It’s actually really hard to watch.

17. Ssmiff

Again, not embarrassed to say there are better players than Rapinoe. In no other sport does one argue a 20 yr old cant compete with a 36 year old, men and women. Evidently, its only the case in women's soccer with one player.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wouldn’t be surprised if they kicked the shit out of them in a real game too fwiw

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m sure there was a benefit to them working with those guys or they wouldn’t have done it. There were scrimmages where we let the other team have the ball for 30 minutes so we could work on any number of things defensively. Then we’d switch and we’d control the ball. Sometimes we got hammered, sometimes we did the hammering. There were also friendlies that were friendly and there were friendlies that were not, as we sometimes learned and sometimes let the other team know.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Like I told my son, everyone's feet are the same distance from the ground.