2020-ish Tokyo Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Unimane, Jul 22, 2021.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Me either. Who would? Hell, the Lady Vols women's team would lose to pick up boys, if I remember. A 16 year old boy playing for an MLS club is most likely going to run rings around any woman player in the world.

No shame in that and basing an argument around that is silly.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

In fact, this thought process has hampered US Soccer for decades. It is only now disappearing and look at the talent we have coming up.

tvolsfan and IP like this.
  3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Butch Jones wore wedges in his shoes.

utvol0427 and IP like this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I was one of those players.
    I also didn't base an argument on that fact, but simply pointed it out. The basis is simply my belief there are better players at a younger age than 36 and again, evidently women's soccer and rapinoe, according to posters here, is the only exception to that thought. NbA, nfl, MLB, men's soccer, etc all prove it, or there would be more 36 year olds on the courts and fields in skill positions especially.
    I have no idea why you guys think it would be different with women's soccer

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That isn't what anyone has said. At all.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cut aaron rodgers. Any 16 year old would be better.

Indy likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Dude, you said 100’s, maybe 1000’s of players could replace Rapinoe. That’s the issue. No one is saying that 36 year olds are always better than younger players.

Everyone in this thread but you seems to agree that Rapinoe was a bit old for this Olympics but that there weren’t hundreds of better options available to replace her. Because if there were hundreds of better options to replace her, they would have replaced her.

tvolsfan likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Then what have you been arguing for 2 days about?

9. Ssmiff

I also posted the the amount was a stretch, but believe there are plenty of players in several hotbed states that could. If you are going to pick out one sentence and focus on it, do the same for when I came back and corrected. Or just use what you want and skip the rest.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The goalposts shift so often on the bad takes you almost have to zero in on one specific aspect to maintain your own sanity. We should probably either assign each bad take to specific person or work in shifts going forward. I’m open to other ideas as well.

Then when the “poor me/I’m a victim” posts start, we can all jump back in together. What do you guys think?

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Not interested tbh

12. Ssmiff

Qb is different, which is why I said skill positions which require speed and agility.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Wasn’t that one sentence the main point everybody is arguing about?

Please point me to the post where you corrected, and I’ll be glad to read.

But even then, you’re going the wrong direction. You’re moving from specific (100’s, thousands) to unspecific (plenty). How can anyone argue with that unless you define what you mean when you say “plenty?”

14. Ssmiff

I'm open to you eating a salad once in awhile.
    Goalposts havent shifted. I haven't retracted anything in regards to there being many more younger players who are better, except there may not be 1000s.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How many is many more? What’s a number you feel comfortable with?

16. Ssmiff

I dont know how many. It's just an opinion so calm down. Cali may have 50 for all I know. TX, vegas, ohio, PA, MD, NY, Fla, ga. Who knows. None of yall do either. You simply have an opinion. Nothing more

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

what about rhode island

18. Ssmiff

There's prolly 2-300 playing college soccer in the state. Let's go with 8

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Calm down? What makes you think I’m not calm? I’m trying to understand your opinion.

I understand that you don’t know how many there are. I’m not asking you to name the exact number. I’m asking you to provide a specific number that you are confident in. At least 50? At least 100? At least 250?

I’m just trying to understand what your opinion actually is. I’m not sure you even know.

20. Ssmiff

Calm down. I've stated my opinion several times. It's not me who doesn't know. People seem to disagree. Who cares. But I will summarize again.
    -rapinoe is overrated
    -there are younger players who would run circles around her
    -in any other sport, most would agree regarding a young athlete at their peak performing against a 36 yr old when it involves speed, agility, strength and footwork.
    People obviously disagree. And I obviously have never really cared when a select few on the site do disagree.